Hiya, from Finistere in France

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
lurchermam
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 48.37294499999999
longitude: -3.699461000000042
Location: Living on a hill in a beautiful part of Finistere, Bretagne,

Hiya, from Finistere in France

Hi, I've just joined this site which I found by accident, following link upon link about poly tunnel growing. I read a few posts and thought ...hey they seem a nice bunch of people, down to earth, knowledgeable and getting on with it, so I joined.

Me, I live on a beautiful hill, surrounded by forests and fields and my nearest neighbours are cows. I moved here just over 18 months ago from Manchester in the UK for a more tranquil pace of life and a healthier way of living. We live in a barn which we are renovating from scratch and last month we finally got enough wire and battery power to have a telephone and internet connection fitted (we have solar panels for electricity).

Last year I managed to dig a bit of a vegetable plot and plant some seeds, a very nice neighbour brought us some cow manure which I spread all over the clay sodden plot and I actually managed to grow an awful lot of clover with a few lettuces, 6 cabbages, 3 cauli's, a very large spinach bush and half a dozen sweetcorn. The rest of my crop either drowned or got eaten by slugs, moles and goodness knows what else.

This year we got off to a late start due to ground frost, but I did not waste time, I managed to construct a keyhole garden and raised bed and I await my first poly tunnel which is due to be delivered this week. I decided on a poly tunnel because my first lot of seeds this year are not looking very good, too much rain and cold wind I think. Ah well, no one said it was going to be easy.

Abbs

silly_sammy
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: Hiya, from Finistere in France

Hi Lurchermam. I'm a newbie also. I would love to restore a barn! One way I've found of keeping the slugs off is crushed eggshells

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome Abbs, now I have to go and get on with it and stop tiddling about ont tinternet

Dr.Syn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hy ya welcome to the forum. I too emigrated from UK to start a new life and I hav'nt looked back :wave: :wave: :wave:
Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.
Blog http://fredarth.wordpress.com/
Die dulci fruere.

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi there and welcome :wave:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

The Riff-Raff Element

Bit further south than you, but same country. Welcome.

crepesuzette
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 48.45
longitude: 0.116667

Hello, I'm east of you, in lower normandie. Hope you enjoy the site.

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hello :wave:
Also in France, in the middle, sort of... I hope your vegs are now growing well with all the sunshine we just had. Better late than never as they say, but that should do for some nice crops I think.
Anyway, enjoy the forum, all the info and the new friends. :thumbright:

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi, many happy memories of camping holidays as a child in Finistere. Especially remember Quimper and La Foret Fouesnant. Welcome to ish :)