hellooo from worksop

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
gunners71uk
A selfsufficientish Regular

hellooo from worksop

:roll: hi from worksop new allotment virgin needs plenty of help tips for allotmenteeering

cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hi Gunners71uk,

Welcome to a great site, you will enjoy it.

My top tips for virgin allotmenteers are..and this is going to sound SO Boring is....

Get carpets from the dump, let them do some of the work on as many plots as you can while your working on others. By the time you get to them those plots they will be weed free and the soil will be like butter..well almost!

Pace yourself, take lots of breaks. If you flog yourself, after the initial enthusiasm..usually one week, it will feel like a chore and you won't enjoy it.

Drink lots of fluids while your working!!!

And the biggest tip of all is talk to the old timers. You will learn stuff from them that you will never pick up from a book. If they are anything like the ones on my site they are so generous with their time, their experience and they always sow far too many seeds and will be more than happy to share their surplus seedlings with you. I used to turn up to find little gifts outside my shed. Then later I in turn would share my surplus with new comers.

Good luck.

Jill.. :flower:

couscous
Tom Good
Tom Good

Well said Jill

I would only add Never stop learning and experimenting.

Hey Gunners71uk - would you be an Arsenal fan by any chance - welcome to the site anyway!!
Lanie
Live better for less

cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

Absolutely couscous. Live and learn, live and learn.

I can't wait to try the Three Sisters planting method next year, and I learned that from this forum. I will report back.

couscous
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hi Jill

I did have a go at the three sisters planting after reading about it on this site. The corn came up very quickly so I planted some sugar-snap peas alongside with the courgette. The deer then browsed the corn before I had a chance to put the netting around so I've had to resort to the usual sticks for the peas now. Ho Hum - well I'll try again next year. I will not let the bastards get me down :lol:
Lanie
Live better for less

cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

NETS..NETS..AND MORE NETS

You can't have too many nets that's my theory.

Didn't have any problems with deer, but if it wasn't one thing it was some other little bugger trying to lay eggs on or munch anything and everything I'd planted.

By the second year we had virtually all our allotment covered in nets..bit of an investment but well worth it. It was either that or buy a shotgun to sit and shoot everything that came near my plot, including 10,000 cabbage white butterflies!!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi gunners71uk, don't like to leave anyone out when welcoming and despite it being months ago and I know we have conversed on here already thought I might as well say hello. Good to have you on board mate. :andy:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

gunners71uk

:dave: cheers andy :andy: thanks