Apples and Alcohol

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Jobi1canobi
Living the good life
Living the good life

Apples and Alcohol

Hi all,

I'm on the hunt for a recipe that involves apples and alcohol. A friend of mine has a tree with what can be described as 'tart' apples on it and she wants to make some preserves as presents for Christmas with the fruit.

She has asked if I have any alcoholic recipes but the best I can offer are ones involving cider. She's looking for something more in the way of 'port' or similar. Can anyone help with appropriate recipes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Jobi1
Jobi1

"A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." - Franklin Jones.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Apples and Alcohol

I've searched all over for "Apples in booze" recipes, and it looks like it just isn't done - probably because the apples would turn into slush while being soaked. Which leaves either an apple wine (too late for Christmas, really) or a fruit-juice flavoured spirit if you have a method of juicing the apples. Then again, if I wanted an apple-based spirit (and had to buy a bottle of the spirit to make it anyway) I think I might just go out and buy a bottle of Calvados in the first place.

I may be way off-beam, but I think you're heading for a brick wall as far as appley alcohol is concerned. Hope I'm wrong.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Jobi1canobi
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks MKG - good of you to look for me.

I thought it would be a long shot. I have two recipes that involve using cider in apple jellies or there's always the orange and whisky marmalade if she's really desperate and is prepared to use something other than her apples! :drunken:

Cheers,
Jobi1
Jobi1

"A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." - Franklin Jones.

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

If you have some other fruit as well then you can make some basic jam and add whatever alcohol you fancy to it.

What about an apple cake with some dried fruit (I don't have a recipe I'm afraid but I'm sure you can google one) and then add brandy once it's cooked (a la Christmas cake).

Cheers
Zoe