marrow rum ?

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

marrow rum ?

Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:17 pm

can anyone give me some advise my marrow rum seems to have stpped fermenting should i just bottle it and try it or can i get it going again. its only about 3 months old and never seemed to really start
try hard mean well and never give up

jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: marrow rum ?

Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:46 am

ive been told that sometimes it can have something to do with the amount off yeast put in, you could try adding a bit more.

but you may aswell try a bit for yourself before hand. if its ok then dont bother adding any yeast.

i think, going of a recipee that i have got, that you dont ever put yeast in, i think that once the you have cut the top off your marrow, and scoopedthe inside out, all you then need to do is to put brown sugar in, peice a hole in the bottom, and let it drip into a bottle, then not adding anything.

good luck

jenko

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:32 pm

This is off the top of my head as I have never made marrow rum .... but, the recipes that I have seen is just neat rum poured into a marrow and allowed to drip through.
If that's what you're doing I can't see how it could "ferment" as the strength of the alcohol would kill any yeast stone dead.
As I understood it, it's just rum flavoured with marrow juice and brown sugar, just like sloe gin is flavoured gin ... not fermented.
But as I said, I have never made any so I could well be talking absolute tosh. :scratch:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:34 pm

Odsox wrote:This is off the top of my head as I have never made marrow rum .... but, the recipes that I have seen is just neat rum poured into a marrow and allowed to drip through.
If that's what you're doing I can't see how it could "ferment" as the strength of the alcohol would kill any yeast stone dead.
As I understood it, it's just rum flavoured with marrow juice and brown sugar, just like sloe gin is flavoured gin ... not fermented.
But as I said, I have never made any so I could well be talking absolute tosh. :scratch:
i would just try it then, if it tastes nice, drink it, if it doesnt, tip it down your sink.
Or give it some one who doesnt no much about alchol

jenko

chilitony
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:03 pm

There is another thing about marrow rum on this forum but with the sbject as "marrow rum" without the question mark (?).
captus nidore culinae (caught by the odor of the kitchen)