Turnip Beer/wine

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Turnip Beer/wine

Has anyone ever made anything drinkable with turnips? This year we intend to plant three packets of turnips to get rid of cooch grass. (apartently it really works). Needless to say we will have a glut of mishapen turnips and perhaps brewing them will be the best option.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Tigerhair
A selfsufficientish Regular

Good tip on the cooch grass! I'll try it too on my father in laws garden.

Turnip wine:

http://www.blunham.demon.co.uk/Yorksgen ... rberryWine
Tigz x

shiney

Blimey Andy, turnip wine sounds like it could be rocket fuel. :shock:

I love turnips, if you have a glut, I'll swap yer for something when I am in Bristol. (when they eventually turn up ~ get it?!)
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

cheers for the recipe, and yep will give some away if you are about at the right time shiney.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Turnip wine sounds a bit suspect to me, mate.........you could always distill it and go for turnip brandy! Now there is a product with a future!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

gunners71uk

:andy: that sounds interesting i just spent 3 months sifting through a 40ft by 20ft area solid with couch grass in now i am forking it through after digging it.
iwas going to put spuds in, could i intercrop with turnips what other stuff could i sow between the spuds maybe you can advise on timing on this.
oh i digress again what makes turnips get rid of couch grass i am intrigued.

woolcraft
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Turnip Wine

Found these on the net:

TURNIP WINE (1)

4½ lbs turnips, without tops
½ lb fresh grape leaves
2½ lb light brown sugar
6½ pts water
1½ tsp citric acid
½ tsp pectic enzyme
¼ tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Lalvin RC212 or Red Star Sherry yeast

Scrub turnips and remove small roots and crowns. Chop coarsely and put in pot with water. Bring to boil and cover, continuing boil until tender. In primary, pour into nylon straining bag and allow to drip drain (do NOT squeeze). Add sugar to hot liquid and stir until completely dissolved. Add grape leaves to nylon straining bag with turnip pulp, tie top, and put in primary. When liquid has cooled to room temperature, add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover and set aside for 12-14 hours. Add activated yeast. Ferment 7 days, punching down bag twice daily without squeezing. Drip drain bag of turnip pulp and grape leaves, then discard solids. Rack into secondary, top up if necessary, and attach airlock. Rack, top up and reattach airlock every two weeks for a total of three rackings. Thereafter, rack, top up and reattach airlock every two months until wine clears and no longer deposits sediments. If not clear in 6 months, treat with Amylase or other starch enzyme and wait additional two months. Stabilize, sweeten if desired, wait 10-14 days, and rack into bottles. Age 12 months or more before tasting. [Author's own recipe]

TURNIP WINE (2)

4 lbs turnips, without tops
½ lb dried hops
2½ lb white granulated sugar
6½ pts water
1 tsp acid blend
½ tsp pectic enzyme
¼ tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Lalvin RC212 or Red Star Sherry yeast
Scrub turnips and remove small roots and crowns. Chop coarsely and put in nylon straining bag. Tie closed and put in pot with water. Bring to boil and cover, continuing boil until tender. Drip drain (do NOT squeeze). Put sugar in primary and pour hot liquid over it, stirring until completely dissolved. Add dried hops to nylon straining bag with turnip pulp, tie top, and put in primary. When liquid has cooled to room temperature, add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover and set aside for 12-14 hours. Add activated yeast. Ferment 7 days, punching down bag twice daily without squeezing. Drip drain bag of turnip pulp and hops, then discard solids. Rack into secondary, top up if necessary, and attach airlock. Rack, top up and reattach airlock after one week, again one week later, and again two weeks later. Thereafter, rack, top up and reattach airlock every two months until wine clears and no longer deposits sediments. If not clear in 6 months, treat with Amylase or other starch enzyme and wait additional two months. Stabilize, sweeten if desired, wait 10-14 days, and rack into bottles. Age 12 months or more before tasting. [Adapted recipe from Jerry Uthemann's Mary's Recipes]

Maybe people can try making them more selfsufficientish and feed back.

Good Luck

Sue