Colwick Cheese How?

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Colwick Cheese How?

Wow! Cheers! I love halloumi :-) the bottle doesn't give any amounts though, it just has a recipe for junket :-s I'm thinking goat's milk would work just as well, yeah?
Harm None!

mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

colwick cheese is a love of my mum's! it's made much like paneer, only instead of being pressed and cut my mum hangs it on the washing line in a piece of muslin.

i want a go!!

i also want to try making casein polymer.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Martina
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have always wanted to find a use for my milk when it goes bad, but I read somewhere that you cannot do anything with our milk because of the pasteurizing process :( . Our milk comes in bags and it seems to just goes "off", not sour. I do buy the organic milk once and a while, but it is fairly pricey and that puts me off using it as anything other than milk.

Does anyone know if the whole 'pasteurizing' thing is true?
You can see my photos at------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40007483@N05/

ina

Yes, unfortunately it is! Milk never used to go bad, just thick. Nowadays it seems to keep forever, but then it goes off. So no can do, all these lovely milk products that we used to make at home... (Before we had yoghurt, my parents always had "thick milk".)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Martina
Living the good life
Living the good life

ina wrote:Yes, unfortunately it is! Milk never used to go bad, just thick. Nowadays it seems to keep forever, but then it goes off. So no can do, all these lovely milk products that we used to make at home... (Before we had yoghurt, my parents always had "thick milk".)
Thanks for the confirmation Ina. :flower: I guess I will still have to rely on the supermarket for my cheese and yogurt.

ina

You can still make some soft cheese yourself; you just can't rely on the milk's own thickening powers, you have to add either lemon juice or rennet (animal or vegetarian).
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Martina
Living the good life
Living the good life

ina wrote:You can still make some soft cheese yourself; you just can't rely on the milk's own thickening powers, you have to add either lemon juice or rennet (animal or vegetarian).
:cheers: Then I will have a go at it. I usually have lemon juice around.

Thanks again, Ina :mrgreen:

BigJohn
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
longitude: 53

Colwick Village: Not really a village any more. I lived there for ten years between the mid 50s and mid 60s, and by then it had become a suburb of Nottingham.

When I lived there, one of my mates lived in a grotty little group of cottages, probably early nineteenth century, and he was convinced that one of the cottages was where Colwick cheese was made. No evidence one way or the other. The cottages themselves were demolished years ago, like anything else of any architectural interest, and the site is now the car park for Colwick Water Park.

One thing is pretty certain - if Robin Hood existed (big if), he never set foot in Colwick, which is right on the river Trent and miles away from Sherwood Forest.

Cam
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 51
longitude: 0

Hi all,

I hope this post is allowed - I wanted to pick your brains on Colwick.

I work for a television production company called Fresh One Productions, we are currently producing a food series for Channel 4 and as part of the series we are featuring a number Forgotten Foods of England which our presenters are fighting to bring back.
Their aim is to revive classic British food and drinks that have, for one reason or another, disappeared from the public consciousness and champion great local food and drink in the process.

One of the products that we are featuring is Colwick cheese.

We are looking to get in touch with people who remember the cheese and came across the topic on the forum.

We are looking for people who remember Colwick to tell us their stories.

If you think you could help or know anyone who can I'd be really grateful if you could get in touch! :icon_smile:
(mrsflibble, BadgerBob and BigJohn I was hoping you might be able to advise!)