Ish beer question

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
JustinFun
Tom Good
Tom Good

Ish beer question

Hi,

I'm planning to make the Ish 'simple beer with real hops' from the main site. I've made some wines before but this will be my first beer.

Can anyone tell me what 2oz of dried hops is like in volume? I need to pick and dry the right amount from our garden hop plant, and presumably the fresh weight will be different.

Also, any other hints/tips from anyone else who's used the recipe?

Thanks, J.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ish beer question

No personal experience, but I found this on the net ...

Hops have a 75% moisture content, so 4 oz of fresh hops will give you 1 oz dried.

That's the theoretical line. The same article also quotes a real figure of 4 oz fresh hops resulting in 0.75 oz dried.

Looks like 8 to 10 oz of fresh hops might give you the right result.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

JustinFun
Tom Good
Tom Good

MKG wrote:No personal experience, but I found this on the net ...

Hops have a 75% moisture content, so 4 oz of fresh hops will give you 1 oz dried.

That's the theoretical line. The same article also quotes a real figure of 4 oz fresh hops resulting in 0.75 oz dried.

Looks like 8 to 10 oz of fresh hops might give you the right result.

Mike
Great thanks! *feels slightly ashamed for not having googled first*

JustinFun
Tom Good
Tom Good

It's been brewing fo r a week, but when I tasted it today there was a *very* bitter hoppy aftertaste (and I speak as very much a real ale fan), so I've added more malt extract and water to try and dilute this a bit - it's now bubbling away all over again.

It might be my hops rather than the recipe - it was sold to us purely as a 'hop' rather than any particular variety. Anyway, hopefully in a few days things will be a bit more balanced.

On the plus side, if all goes well I'll have a lot more beer than I originally expected!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting. Did you use fresh hops in the end, or did you dry them first and then measure out the two ounces?

(And did that strange eggy/fungi-ey thing in your garden ever come to anything?).

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

CyberPaddy66
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Bear in mind that the bitterness and hopiness will mellow over time as your beer matures!
Life's a beach until you get sand in your pants!