Making Coulommiers Cheese

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
RamaCaida
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Making Coulommiers Cheese

Here is a link to my blog post which shows how I make soft cheese. It is similar to French Coulommiers and takes about 4-6 weeks to ripen. The key is to use fresh unpasteurized milk with a high butterfat content.
http://argentinawineblog.weebly.com/1/c ... ese/1.html

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Making Coulommiers Cheese

Looks good rc.

Minor problem for us in Scotland anyway. It's illegal to sell raw milk here. Will it work with pasteurised, even if not quite so well? I've had some, limited success with making a hard cheese with pasteurised milk.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

contadina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

That looks lush, although I'm not familiar with that cheese. Is it creamy or tart or a bit of both?

Doh! I just fully read your blog and your taste description sounds perfect. I think I need to make some.

RamaCaida
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Green Aura: Yes, you can make the soft penicillin mold cheeses with pasteurized milk. You must add 1/4 tsp. calcium chloride diluted in 1/4 cup of cool water to the milk. These measurements are for an 8 litre quantity of milk. The results will be similar, but somehow the unpasteurized milk adds more flavour.

I had the same problem with the sale of raw milk when I lived in Canada. It was illegal to sell raw milk, but okay to use it for your own consumption from your own cow. Cheesemakers got around the law by buying a share in a cow - a fee that would help pay for food, vet bills, etc. - and that would give them a regular supply of raw milk.

The Canadian expert on artisan cheeses is Margaret Morris, author of the Cheesemaker's Manual. Her website is http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/ and she sells all of the necessary equipment.

Hope that this information is helpful to you.