Walnut liqueur

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
chadspad
A selfsufficientish Regular

Walnut liqueur

I hve millions of walnuts and immediately my mind went to making alcohol with them :drunken: Has anyone made walnut liqueur? Ive done a search but only green walnut liqueur has come up, these are older nuts. Ive made hazlenut liqueur before, with great success, wondered whether I could follow the same method.
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

theabsinthefairy

Re: Walnut liqueur

Had no idea that you could make alcohol from nuts!

Have you tried making oil from the walnuts?
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

elfcurry
Tom Good
Tom Good

I *bought* a bottle of walnut liqueur many years ago with my left-over Lire at an Italian airport. It was smooth but I could never really say I liked it much. People who tried it didn't hate it but didn't want a second helping.

If you do try doing this, I'd be interested to hear how yours does.

contadina

Nocino is made with green underdeveloped walnuts, but be warned it is hangover inducing (I reckon it reduces your brain to the size of a walnut).

Ingredients
30 green walnuts, early enough in the season so that they are easily cut with a knife (the walnut juice really stains so be careful)
2 cinnamon sticks
5 whole cloves
Zest of a lemon
500g sugar
1 liter of alcool puro or vodka or grappa if you can't get hold of any
Optional spices to taste - mace, star of anise and vanilla bean

Rinse and pat dry walnuts. Cut into quarters. Put walnuts, spices, zest, sugar, and booze into a large glass container. Cover and shake to mix well. Store for 6 weeks, shaking daily. Remove the walnuts and solids with a slotted metal spoon. Strain the liquid through several layers of cheesecloth or a coffee filter. Cork tightly. Nocino starts off bitter, but mellows with age, so most Italians leave it for a year before opening it.

vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

This recipe Rocks
I've just bottled my first batch and it smell amazing and is a little bitter :)

oldjerry

contadina wrote:Nocino is made with green underdeveloped walnuts, but be warned it is hangover inducing (I reckon it reduces your brain to the size of a walnut).

Ingredients
30 green walnuts, early enough in the season so that they are easily cut with a knife (the walnut juice really stains so be careful)
2 cinnamon sticks
5 whole cloves
Zest of a lemon
500g sugar
1 liter of alcool puro or vodka or grappa if you can't get hold of any
Optional spices to taste - mace, star of anise and vanilla bean

Rinse and pat dry walnuts. Cut into quarters. Put walnuts, spices, zest, sugar, and booze into a large glass container. Cover and shake to mix well. Store for 6 weeks, shaking daily. Remove the walnuts and solids with a slotted metal spoon. Strain the liquid through several layers of cheesecloth or a coffee filter. Cork tightly. Nocino starts off bitter, but mellows with age, so most Italians leave it for a year before opening it.

I've been trying to prise that recipe out of Lucia's dad for ages,you've made my day,many,many thanks.Don't spose you've got a recipe for Cynara?

contadina

oldjerry wrote:Don't spose you've got a recipe for Cynara?
I've got a a couple of recipes for artichoke liquers, but I reckon to get something akin to Cynar you'd need to add some extra herbs and spice. Here's a recipe someone suggested on an Italian site on how to make a Cynar copy and it sounds like it may work.

20 Artichoke Leaves
1 Yarrow flower head
2 cloves
45 cl dry white wine
45 Cl Brandy

Preparation
Marinate the herbs and spices in a jar of brandy for two days, remembering to shake it two or three times a day. Then add the wine and repeat for two more days. Filter and bottle, but wait at least 4 months before drinking.

oldjerry

Thats stuffed her dad twice, what else ya got? Bet you can't beat Auntie Marchella's pesto! Seriously,thankyou Jerry.

Carltonian Man

Here's some I made a few months back. The lovely green colour soon turns much darker.
(the stuff in the demijohns is cherry liqueur)
Attachments
IMG_1944.JPG
IMG_1944.JPG (40.43 KiB) Viewed 6919 times

Carltonian Man

While on the subject, does anyone have a recipe for a Pastis/Ricard/Pernod type drink. I've tried with star anise but not really getting the desired result.