Homemade

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Homemade

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:50 am

Well we now get all our milk from a local farmer, separate off all the cream, so we now make all our own butter, ice cream and yogurt, and shortly hope to be making cheese as well.

any advice is welcome.
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Homemade

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:59 am

Sounds wonderful. I used to love drinking the 'top of the milk' back in the days when milk came in glass bottles and hadn't been homogenized. Can you still get it like that in the UK I wonder?

We used to make some soft cheese from the goats milk but never got as far as making hard cheese. Soft cheese is easy but only keeps for a few days.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Millymollymandy

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:43 am

Top of the milk, that takes me back a bit. :iconbiggrin: You never needed to buy single cream as there was always some there on your milk though it was a bit watery (we were silver top people). Posh people had gold top which was really creamy! Oh dear I feel old now. :lol:

Good luck with all your creamy yummy things Homegrown! :thumbright:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

oldjerry

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:23 am

Good stuff! if you haven't already get a couple of weaners,there's always a good bit of liquid left over you cant use.Add that to old veg,etc and your halfway to feeding them. Best wishes.