gorse liqueur

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
fenris
Tom Good
Tom Good

gorse liqueur

anyone done this? i tried to make gorse wine last year but it failed somewhat, so thought i'd try a liqueur infusion type thing with it next time the gorse is out. im determined to capture that sweet coconutty-ness in booze form. i thought maybe using a white rum would be a good idea, since it might take on that bright yellow colour. i'm not sure if the flavour would be too delicate though? what do you guys think?

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: gorse liqueur

Hi, I made Gorse flower wine last year using the Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall recipe (possibly still on the river cottage website?) but i used plenty more flowers than specified, and they were all quite young. The flavour was captured brilliantly- with all the delicate coconut scents. It only took a couple of weeks to make, so it might be worth having another go with the wine? When it works, its lovely!

Good luck!

:icon_smile:

fenris
Tom Good
Tom Good

thankyou, i might try again with the wine, nothing to lose!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gorse wine is delicous. I find that collecting gorse in the winter you do have collect a few more to get a stronger flavour. It you want to just capture the flavour you could try a gorse flower cordial or even "champagne". Follow an elderflower champagne recipe and just replace the elderflowers with gorse, I'd use about 3 cups in that recipe and 2 cups if its the summer.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging