my quest for the (near) perfect rainbow!

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

my quest for the (near) perfect rainbow!

so far i have

red - strawberry vodka and also tea wine
orange - medlar wine
yellow - lemon hooch
green - kiwi (ok very light but shhh)
blue - ?
indigo - ?
violet - ?

or i could use the kids rainbow
red - as above
yellow
pink - i've seen a nice pink in a blueberry wine but waiting to see the end colour of that
green
purple
orange
blue

either way i am stuck on blue and purple i was thinking ribena but what colour does that end up and blackberry, but that was a very dark red rather than purple

so come on what can i do to make my wine rack for the autumn look like a lovely rainbow????
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: my quest for the (near) perfect rainbow!

All purpley-blue fruits turn out to be red. I think the entire blue range (purple/indigo/violet) will mean having to resort to food dyes, and there's nothing too wrong with that as a you have a clear object in mind. I suspect however (something I forgot to put in the beetroot wine thread) that artificially-coloured wines will lose their colour over a period of storage. Beetroot loses its red and turns a lovely golden colour after a couple of years.

Maybe if you experiment to achieve just the right colour and note down the results, you could colour normal wines at the point of drinking?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Could you not cheat on the harder ones, and use coloured glass bottles, Green would be sorted then, and I am sure I have seen blue.

If you use freeze dried beetroot as a coloring it should stay red, and also not be "artificial"
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

mike i doubt it will hang around long enough to fade :D :D :D

i was thinking last night that i may have to resort to food dye, but have plenty of that as the boys love blue cake :D

I'm just glad that seems to be the answer and not that i had forgotten a really obvious flavour to get the purples (although i think i will go kids version and have pink in the rainbow this year)

is it wrong to plan your homebrew by colours to brighten a dull winters day?
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's YOUR homebrew. If you made it from minced fairies and coloured it khaki, that's entirely up to you.

Mike

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Cheating a bit I know, but I recently heard about Skittles Vodka. Put a handful of your desired colour into a bottle of vodka and shake vigorously until the colour coating has transferred to the vodka, remove the sweets and voila! multi coloured drinks.

out of interest, I've just googled this drink and they recommend completely dissolving the sweets, but this will leave some residue which will need to be removed. site here: http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/msbrackenrid ... ng_random/
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Borage flowers? We have a huge patch at the moment (they're like weeds) and they are beautifully blue as well as being edible.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

boboff wrote:Could you not cheat on the harder ones, and use coloured glass bottles, Green would be sorted then, and I am sure I have seen blue.
Blue glass is typically used for poison. That may send out the wrong kind of message.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blue glass is also used for gin.

Oh, hang on ... you're right :iconbiggrin:

Mike