Chilli wine

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
irigg
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Chilli wine

has anyone made this if so can you share your thoughts and ideas on this please

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chilli wine

Yes. I wouldn't do it again.

I ended up with something which tasted quite bland - totally uninteresting - until the chillis kicked in, at which point I decided that it was not only uninteresting but also unpleasant.

What IS nice is to use a chilli to add to an already finished wine, just to the point where a quiet, background heat is felt. Judging the point at which that might happen is the difficult bit. If you fancy trying that, I can tell you that there's no point in doing it with a low-alcohol, low-ingredient wine. You need something heavy (a 6 lb per gallon elderberry, for instance) and above 13% ABV and which is already matured to the point of drinkability. A background heat in that is well worth the effort. But it's also a risk - you could easily overdo it (and it depends upon the strength of the chilli and the nature of the wine, so it's always a suck it and see job) and ruin a perfectly good booze batch.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

MKG wrote:Yes. I wouldn't do it again.

I ended up with something which tasted quite bland - totally uninteresting - until the chillis kicked in, at which point I decided that it was not only uninteresting but also unpleasant.

What IS nice is to use a chilli to add to an already finished wine, just to the point where a quiet, background heat is felt. Judging the point at which that might happen is the difficult bit. If you fancy trying that, I can tell you that there's no point in doing it with a low-alcohol, low-ingredient wine. You need something heavy (a 6 lb per gallon elderberry, for instance) and above 13% ABV and which is already matured to the point of drinkability. A background heat in that is well worth the effort. But it's also a risk - you could easily overdo it (and it depends upon the strength of the chilli and the nature of the wine, so it's always a suck it and see job) and ruin a perfectly good booze batch.

Mike
Mike the best way to do this is get some decent quality vodka with very little flavour and soak some chillis in it for a few days then add it to a bottle's worth of wine a tsb or so at a time till you get the heat you like and then dose the whole lot at an equivalent rate :drunken:
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

irigg
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

think i might stick to using in the pot and not the pop lol

Luath
Living the good life
Living the good life

I make chilli wine regularly - needs keeping for about 2 years to get the best out of it.
visit my Creative Living forum
unboughtdelicacies
Radical sanity - it's the way to go.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Being a glutton for punishment, I tried this again.
I never learn ....

Chilis, which I love. are probably best in chili con carne.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

HEY MIKE, welcome back ... long time no see. :cheers:

Totally off topic I know, but you've come to expect that, haven't you.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

My experience tells me that nothing's off-topic in the mad world of Ish, Odsox. I hope it hasn't changed.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

In our local there's a group we nickname the picnic club as they bring in their own food on a Sunday evening. One Sunday last year they also brought in some bottles of beer of which one was a chilli beer . Sorry not wine but it had chillis . This was the stuff if I remember , http://www.chilefoundry.com/2010/04/22/ ... lli-beers/
They passed it round the regulars in the pub but only a couple of us actually liked it , me being one. Most tried it and pulled a face and I ended up with half a bottle just to myself. The chilli did seem to kick in not quite as an aftertaste but not instantly . I though it was quite pleasant although not something to drink in any quantity .
I don't tend to make beer myself but I do make wine so maybe I might have to give the chilli wine a go.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is getting my curiosity going again. I'm beginning to wonder what a sweet chilli wine would be like (not a sweet chilli, you understand but a sweet wine). Off the top of my head, I think it would have to be a white. I may try it with rhubarb. On the other hand, I may not.

I wonder ... ... ... ... ... ...