frozen grapes into wine

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

frozen grapes into wine

right. just clearing out the freezer and came across bag full of frozen grapes i bunged in there last year. can someone recommend a recipe with clear how to instructions bearing in mind i have no press but do have basics ie have wine yeast, nutrient and campden tabs and some other things from trying before but failing miserably. well made vinegar.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: frozen grapes into wine

What's the weight of the grapes? And are they grapes for eating or for wine? Are they red or white?

Oh - and you DO have a press. That's what those things on the ends of your arms are for.

I'm guessing that you won't have enough for a gallon of wine (unless that's a BIG bag), so what other fruit do you have available?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

oh it's a big bag, a big shopping bag full. will weigh them tomorrow. actually have a similar size bag of chopped apples. the grapes are sweet and red. last year i had read about freezing fruit being a way to extract juice from fruit on the way to wine making but i can't find the site now. i wouldn't mind mixing apples and grapes as i need to clear out the chest freezer now and it would make things easier. any idea for a plan of action would be gratefully received!

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Apple & grape jelly? Very good as a filling in sponges and on toast.

big brew ejit
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Defrosted fruit particularly grapes will be easy pressed as the fleshy part of the fruit will be quite mushy due to the defrosting process, couldn't explain why or how though. Same with apples if you have them frozen.
If you don't have access to a press just freeze the apples then defrost them.

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've just done this with 2 carrier bags full of grapes - they will take a long time to defrost though. 2 days in a big bucket (you get more juice this way as freezing bursts the cell walls releasing more liquid).
Once defrosted i smashed the hell out of them with my hands (you could also use cleaned feet) then pitched some yeast on top.
I'm fermenting on the skins for a week or so as I want a strong red wine that i can put on oak.
If you wanted something faster maturing you would strain it to another carboy in 4-5 days.
DON'T use a blender or anything mechanical - that will break the pips and make the wine bitter.
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

oh, replies! thanks guys. i've been swamped this week and put off doing anything with the grapes till i come back from my trip next week. i will get it underway next week. thanks again