Andy's Homebrew workshop...

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
2ndRateMind
Tom Good
Tom Good

Andy's Homebrew workshop...

...At the windmill hill city farm, in Bristol.

Did it, loved it. I've been brewing wine for sometime now, and get considerable satisfaction from a 5 gallon bucket full of something alcoholic.

But Andy showed us a load of stuff, including how to make prison brew using orange juice, a piece of bread, and a plastic bottle. Well, I started experimenting once I got home, with grape juice and apple juice. Both have been fermenting nicely for the last 4 days.

Then we did beer. I've never brewed beer before, and going through the process has built my confidence no end. When the next giro hits the bank, top of my list is a 1.5kg tin of malt extract and a few hops.

And we talked about wine, a little, and then sampled some of Andy's craft. That was the best bit; the sampling!

Highly recommended, especially for beginners.

Cheers all! 2RM.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Andy's Homebrew workshop...

Thanks very much, I enjoyed it too glad to hear you got so much out of it. We are planning another in July.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

2ndRateMind
Tom Good
Tom Good

Oh yeah! It's happened! My malt and hops arrived today! Starting brewing tomorrow. Any of you guys got any tips, I'd be glad to take them on board. I want to brew a 1990's Bass style ale. I swear Bass has got more bitter over the years, and I like a slightly sweet, hint of hops, full flavoured, round in the mouth type of brew. I'll let you know how I get on.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Thu May 10, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phil55494
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

One suggestion would be to seek out a book by Graham Wheeler - Brew Your Own British Real Ale. It has a whole lot of recipes for British beer (I'm pretty sure Bass Pale Ale is there but as I'm in a pub not at home I can't check). The recipes have instructions for both grain and extract brewing.

2ndRateMind
Tom Good
Tom Good

Well, I've just spent the morning happily bottling my first home-brewed ale. And it's not at all bad. I used Cooper's medium malt extract and Golding hops, and, more by luck than judgement, it's come out exactly how I like my beer to be. Indeed, I prefer my first attempt to many commercial brews. Thanks for this is down to Andy, to his home-brew workshop for providing inspiration and impetus, and to his 'Booze for Free' book for providing the recipe. Now, what do you reckon on my chances of managing to keep all 24 bottles intact to mature over the next 10 days, as recommended?

2ndRateMind
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hmmm. It's that Friday. And my patience has been rewarded. Taste - 10/10 (though I say it myself!). If I have any criticism at all, and it's a minor niggle, it's that the beer doesn't have the bright clarity I'd like. So, I'll be dosing the next batch with Irish Moss, to see if that resolves the matter.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

You could try putting it into a secondary before bottling it, ie - in a demijohn for a week or so then bottling it.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

2ndRateMind
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thanks Andy. I have just discovered, much to my delight, that a small correction is in order. The beer is quite clear so long as I don't stir up the sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

phil55494
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

That is now an art to practice, pouring beer without disturbing the sediment in the bottom. It helps if you chill the bottles a little before pouring.