Butternut Squash?

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Badger
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Butternut Squash?

Hiya All,

I'm off round my Mums tomorrow as she has a glut of butternut squash to get rid of.

Does anyone here have any ideas as to what I could do with these, I'm thinking beer. I'll probably make us some soup for lunch while I'm there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Re: Butternut Squash?

I just made some roasted squash with some of my 'home mixed' cajun spice mix. Was very good :iconbiggrin:

I just cut the squash into realitivly equal sized chunks and tossed them in a bowl with a little oil and a few spoons of the spice mix then laid them on a lighty oiled tray and roasted in the oven for about 30 min. When they start to burn slightly they caramalize and go really yummy.
Its good to eat them just like that as a snack or side dish, or you can then make it into to soup by adding it to already boiled onions, carrots and a little celery and blend it up in the blender and ajust the spices to taste.
Or you can make it into a veg stew with onions, garlic, peppers, carrots, green beans, tomatoes, plus whatever spices you're using. Add choritzo or another cured spicy sausage and some roasted chicken makes it really tasty.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wash, chop, deseed, do not peel.. roast in big batches with a little olive oil and salt/pepper.. then freeze. It does reheat as a veg, but it also makes wonderful soup with just the addition of some stock (homemade chicken, or vegetable bouillon powder). And do find out what your mother's secret is, just up the A47 and our crop was nonexistant.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Ellendra

Use it in place of pumpkin for pies, breads, etc.

I make an apple crumble that does well with squash instead of apples. My recipe is posted here: http://ellendra.hubpages.com/hub/Fantas ... ble-Recipe

(I hope that doesn't break the advertising rules)

marshlander

I've been making this chutney for a few years now http://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/re ... utney.html

You could also make a delish risotto.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

curried butternut soup.
Soften onion garlic and fresh grated ginger in oil and then add curry spices. Add chopped squash and and apple (optional but i think it adds acidity). cook a bit and then add your stock and boil til cooked. blitz smooth. i like it with coconut cream swirled on top but could put yoghourt or sour cream i guess. also nice with a handful of orange lentils which ups the protein factor.

Badger
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for you ideas folks.

I made soup at the weekend and am brewing a butternut beer today. Chutneys a great idea, my stock from a couple of years ago has just about run out. May well freeze some as well.

Annemieke
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: N 51°
longitude: W 3°

Soupbase. Squash makes the loveliest soup, so I cook up a lot with spices, maybe saute it first with onion and garlic. Then after cooking, mash it with a potato masher, add salt and keep in the fridge. Freeze some if I've made a lot.
Then every day I add the cooking water of yesterday's veg, and presto! A lovely soup. If there is beet water involved, the colour is magnificent!
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil!
And if you are interested in food and/or health, have a look at my website:
http://ThoughtforFood-aw.blogspot.com.
Love, Annemieke

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

Why not try your hand at squash pastries.
Ingredients: The stuffing is prepared twenty-four hours before baking, to allow the flavours to mix and allow the cracked wheat to expand in the mix. The stuffing includes - three cups of diced squash, four Tbsp of cracked wheat, three Tbsp of olive oil, two Tbsp of sugar, one cup of sultanas, one tsp of cinnamon, half a tsp of salt and pepper.

Ingredients: For the dough are four cups of flour, one Tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice, one tsp of salt, half a cup of olive oil and half a cup of water.

(1) As mentioned above prepare the stuffing 24 hours before baking
(2) The next day, prepare the dough by placing the flour in a bowl and mix in the salt
(3) Add the olive oil and hand mix until the oil is thoroughly absorbed
(4) Gradually add the water and lemon juice and knead until the dough feels firm
(5) Cover the bowl and leave the dough, in a warm place, to rest for 40 minutes
(6) Re-knead your dough for about five minutes
(7) Divide the dough into 6-8 pieces and make each into a ball
(8) Roll each ball into a round shape which is 15cm in diameter and about 3mm thick
(9) Brush the edges with water and fill the centre with 2 Tbsp of stuffing
(10) Fold in half and seal the edges with a fork
(11) Place on a baking tray and cook in a pre-heated oven at 180c for about 20-25 minutes until brown