Use by dates

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Use by dates

Quick question. I made some nettle and ginger wine yesterday, but didn't notice until after that the wine yeast was past the use by date of September last year. Can it be saved or should i just throw it all out?

It doesn't seem to be doing much.

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Use by dates

Give it a chance, sometimes it can take a while to get going. If it doesn't then just add some new yeast, the old stuff will just settle to the bottom. No need to throw it all out.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks Malc!

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Best before dates are just guidelines and mean exactly that. The food is best before that date but still fine afterwards. I happily feed the family with food past its best before.
Use by dates are more important. If something has a use by date there is a risk with using the food past that date (food poisoning). I don't feed the family past use by date food (but did eat the use by yesterday houmous out the fridge today myself!)
I expect the yeast has a best before and Malc is right - it may not work 'best' so you may need to chuck more in.
Today I made jam with a year past the best before pectin. Initial testing seems good :icon_smile: I suggest once the wine is finished you thoroughly test it yourself before allowing anyone else to try it.

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Make a starter with it.

Half a pint of tepid water, a teaspoon of sugar (make sure it's dissolved), a squeeze of something citric (orange juice, lemon juice, even a bit of citric acid) and a level teaspoon of the yeast. If you're using a bottle, plug it with cotton wool or, if you're using something else, cover it with e.g. a paper towel.

Leave in a warm place for between a few hours and a day. If you see little bits of yeast travelling slowly up and down, then that means that CO2 is being produced and your yeast is OKish. Leave it for a little longer and you'll have a large colony of yeast ready to add to your must.

If you see nothing, it's time to buy some new yeast.

BIG TIP: Keep your yeast in the fridge.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)