Soft Salami

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Soft Salami

Hi people

After a successful traditional hungarian pig killing, the butcher made 9 salamis. I've been air curing them in our naturally cold room. Unfortunately, they are still quite soft and still dripping fat. The outside temperature is now about 35°C and soon the cold room will be too hot to safely store them. What should I do? Should I be worried that they are still soft? Any tips/hints?

thanks

Andy

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Soft Salami

I don't let my chorizo (salami by another name, really) get too hard. Provided that the mould covering has no signs of black in it (and if it has then you have got problems) you're probably OK. Pig slaughtering here traditionally takes place in late autumn to allow for a cool curing - I'm surprised that it takes placing in summer elsewhere. The best people to consult might be the butcher or neighbours who've made the same thing.

vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Soft Salami

Thanks for the advice - the piggy was chopped in Feb and the meat has been mould-free and hanging since.