Fermentation stopped

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Rundemc
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Fermentation stopped

Re: Elderflower Champagne - Fermentation almost stopped after 3 days.

Ok, now the fermentation has almost stopped and SG is still high, around 7. Started of at 8 and used yeast nutrients. Both yeast and nutrients added as instructed for 5 gal. What do you think? It's been around 27cent in my flat. Maybe the heat?

Cheers

Stoney
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 0
longitude: 0

Re: Fermentation stopped

Hi, I am new to wine making but have had some early success with fruit teabag infusions and supermarket apple juice. Is there no where cooler in your flat, wardrobe or shaded corner? How much acid/lemon juice did you use as this as important as yeast & nutrient.

So try finding somewhere cooler if possible and if this doesn't work try adding a table spoon or two of lemon juice. If this fails try making a new yeast starter.

I bought a couple of cheap wine making books from eBay and their info and guidance is invaluable.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Stoney

gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

27 should not be high enough to stop fermentation...

First question - what makes you think fermentation has almost stopped? The rate of bubbling in an airlock is not a reliable guide to the rate of fermentation - these things often leak a little.
Cheers

Dunc

Rundemc
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Ok got this going on another thread, but just to sum up, it was the yeast. Wasn't strong enough. Cleared the brew and re started with Lalvin Champagne yeast and nutrients. All good now and got a great result. Recipe here http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... 19&t=28147