Extra yeast

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

Extra yeast

I'm an idiot. I'm making some blackberry and apple wine. I've got the blackberries, water and yeast in a fermentation bucket as per instructions.

I've not brewed anything for ages so when the froth and bubbles calmed down I assumed the yeast had died and popped in some more to see if it would help.

Is there any harm in that?

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

Re: Extra yeast

I don't think it'll necessarily do any harm as any excess yeast will settle out into the sediment layer at the bottom and you can rack off of it. You might end up with a really thick sediment layer, in which case maybe leaving the wine on it too long would adversely affect the flavour.

Whether it was necessary or not depends on why the fermentation had stopped (if it indeed had stopped completely - only gravity readings will tell you that). If it stopped because all the fermentables had been consumed, then adding more yeast was pointless as it would have had nothing to feed off unless you added some sugar or something. If it stopped because it had reached the yeast's maximum alcohol tolerance, then if it was the same type of yeast you pitched, then again, it wouldn't have done anything. If it starts visibly fermenting again, then it was probably worth doing!

Hope it turns out well!

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

Re: Extra yeast

Thank you. As soon as I realised my mistake I realised I'd just wasted yeast and it wasn't going to do anything. s long as it's not harmful. It gets racked and the sugar added next so should all be OK