Plum Wine

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Stoney
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 0
longitude: 0

Plum Wine

I have been given some plums that i intend to make wine out of, however i don't think there is enough for a gallon of wine i have about a third of a carrier bag full so can anyone recommend something i can bulk them out with? In my first steps in wine making book it mentions using a grain during the brewing process as the finished wine can be a bit 'thin', can i use rice for this?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received!

elfcurry
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Plum Wine

I'd say first check the weight of the fruit you have, you may have enough. The plum wine recipe I use recommends 4lb (1.8kg) for a gallon but I have one fermenting now with only 3 1/4 lb plums and it's tasting reasonably 'normal' tonight.

I've never really done mixed fruit wine so can't say what's best with plums. Anything not too odd would probably be ok.

Alternatively, if you can get hold of a smaller container and do a smaller batch. I have a half demijohn (semi-demijohn?) which I intended to do experimental small batches but never really used it.

dave45
A selfsufficientish Regular

I steam my fruit to extract the juice and have a gallon of plum cider on the go (i.e. plum wine minus the extra sugar!)
Don't forget to add pectolase to neutralise the pectin, otherwise you might end up with a cloudy/hazy result. I chuck in a teaspoonful per gallon and hope for the best.
My plums are now finished and i neglected to weigh them. Not very scientific i know !

Stoney
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 0
longitude: 0

I had just short of 4lb of fruit after i had removed the stones. I added pectolase. I added 500g of cooked pearl barley the day after i mashed the fruit. Not sure what effect this will have if any. I am new to all this! I did find a cherry-plum tree yesterday while out for a walk, as well as a couple of crab apple trees, i also took home 2 carriers full of elderberries which i am going to make syrup out of for wine making. I have so much on the go as i don't have the freezer space to store fruit, hence the cordial.

dave45

On the elderberries - I'd say beware the stalks - they give the wine a "green" flavour in my experience that takes years to abate/mellow (the source of lots of tannins I guess). And picking the buggers off the stalks is a labour of love - forks don't work. Cordial is a great idea, but make sure you sulphite it or it might ferment with wild yeast. And explode. (you might ask how I know this!!)

chadspad

Stoney, what about using raisins to bulk out the plum wine altho my book says 3lb plums for a gallon is enough. Some of the best wine I ever made was plum - colour was amazing! Good luck :icon_smile:
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/