fruit leather going soggy

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
JoseyJo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

fruit leather going soggy

Hi, I am new to dehydrating and have made some delicious blackcurrant and apple fruit leather - but silly me put it in the fridge NOT in an air tight container and it is now going soggy, especially around the edges.... Wondering how long it will be edible in this state - there are still 2 sheets left as I had to use some accidentally defrosted fruit and made quite a lot. It's been in there 6 days already - tastes fine :icon_smile: but I don't want to make us all ill :pukeright:
I don't suppose it's a good idea to stick it in the dehydrator again.....

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Re: fruit leather going soggy

JoseyJo wrote: I don't suppose it's a good idea to stick it in the dehydrator again.....
I would, or possibly the oven. I don't have a dehydrator, so I use the oven anyway, but in this case case the higher temperature of the oven, even on low, might be enough to kill anything that might have taken up residence in your leather. It's a tricky balance, though, because you don't want to overcook it (or cook it at all, really).

On the other hand, what kind of sugar content have you got? It it's high, you're probably fine anyway and you could just dry it out again in the dehydrator.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

JoseyJo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: fruit leather going soggy

I hadn't thought of a blast in the oven - yes that might be better for killing anything... I did add quite a lot of sugar, but didn't weigh it just tipped it in! I think I'd rather risk cooking it slightly than making anyone sick!!