Preserving cordials - help

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
mulchingoverwinter
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Preserving cordials - help

Hello,

I'm looking for some help as I really am ditsy with all this!

I have recently acquired some lovely bottles like these but 750ml, and with a plastic top instead of the ceramic, looks exactly the same though. (http://www.preserveshop.co.uk/glass-bot ... c-clip-top) they did have juice in them prior to me buying them.

Um what’s the best way to sterilise them? I think the bottle will just about fit in the oven standing up but I'm unsure on how to sterilize the plastic bit, would a hot water bath do?

Also has anyone used these types of bottles, I'm really hoping to use them for elderflower and other cordials, does it seal itself with the pressure of the heat cooling? Or do I need to do something special to them?

Thanks for any help, sorry I'm really ditzy!

Nessy

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Preserving cordials - help

Hi, I do make cordials. I use the swing top bottles with the ceramic tops. You will need to give them a good wash in hot soapy water, I use a large bottle brush to get in and clean to to bottom, then they will need a good rinse out. I scald anything I am going to put preserves into with boiling hot water out of the kettle, then you can lay the bottles on their sides in the oven on 100 celcius to dry them. Put your boiling cordials into the bottles hot from the oven. Normally, you would replace lids to prevent any problems, if your bottles have holes in the necks, you can buy the ceramic replacements for very little money, I haven't seen plastic swing tops? or are they screw in type. Anyway, again, clean, put into a bowl and pour boiling water on, and put on lids, try to avoid touching the bits that go into the bottle. That should work, but I am a bit belts and braces and like to put back into the oven on 100 for about 15 mins just to make sure they seal, but you could put them into a big pan boiling water to avoid melting the lids to the same effect. Then put the bottles on their sides whilst they are cooling to make sure they form a good vacuum.

mulchingoverwinter
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Oh thank you diggernotdreamer!!

Thats perfect, I didn't know I could get replacements, will go of on a hunt! So looking forward to the elderflower season now!!

Thanks again

Nessy x

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

this is a good shop http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/ and also I have got some replacements on Ebay,