Vinegar making smells like cheese

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
JT101
Tom Good
Tom Good

Vinegar making smells like cheese

Hi everyone

I have two batches of vinegar fermenting away at the moment. Both had a fly land in them, and subsequently saw a film of bacteria grow over the top. The batch that smells ok was pure apple juice, and the other batch which was some apple cider (hard cider) smells of cheese. I mean it really does pong. I tried tasting some the other day and it sort of tasted vinegary. Certainly didn't taste revolting.

So is it normal for fermenting vinegar to smell cheesy?

Thanks
Attachments
Cider vinegar
Cider vinegar
Vinegar from cider.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 4326 times

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Vinegar making smells like cheese

I don't know. Mine smelled of vinegar. Whether it passed through some "cheesy" phase I couldn't say.

I'd be tempted to put it in something glass, like a demijohn. I'm not keen on the idea of acid stored in plastic - probably just me.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Vinegar making smells like cheese

Got to admit I've never (purposefully) made vinegar (we'll ignore the first few attempts at wine). But from a homebrew point of view I've always leaned on wait and see - there's no harm in giving it some time, but if you pour it away it's gone.

I'd agree with GA on moving it into glass, a dj with some cotton wool in the neck. And remember never to brew wine/cider/beer in the same kit as you've made vinegar in.