Apple Brandy Emergency

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
sleepyowl
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Apple Brandy Emergency

I have started to make an apple brandy liqueur & found that the amount of Kilner Jar space it needs is more than I have so at the moment have most of the apples steeped in a sugar syrup solution with some brandy to preserve the apples that I have chopped. Can I drain one of my damson gin jars over two other jars to create space or will that create mould in the damson gin? Or should I send my husband out to get another Kilner Jar and carry on the process tomorrow?
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Apple Brandy Emergency

As long as you sterilize the other two jars and don't leave the damson gin out for too long there shouldn't be any problem. Or split your apple mix between two kilners. (Although part of me wonders if you can have too many kilners)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Apple Brandy Emergency

Brewtrog wrote:(Although part of me wonders if you can have too many kilners)
Most definitely not! There's a small alcove in the boiler room which we shelved to house my Kilner jars. from 100ml to 2litres. Depending on the time of year (about now) the shelves empty out, then fill again as we use up whatever's in them. I've even been known to buy cr4p I wouldn't touch with a cattle prod if it comes in a Kilner jar (fortunately myOH will eat just about anything :lol:)

Sleepy owl, it'll be fine. If there's no room for the brandy just make sure it's covered with sugar - it won't go off any time soon and will suck out juice and flavour from the fruit. Then you can add the brandy when you're ready to strain it all.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin