Fermenting time again

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Fermenting time again

I've got various vegetable combinations brining.

Bok choy, cucumber, carrot and radish to make kimchi; cabbage, fennel, radish, carrot and onion to make Gundruk (a new one on me, similar to kimchi but uses more Indian type spices. It's a Nepalese recipe); beetroot, radishes, carrots and onion to make simple soured vegetables combo.

There'll be lots of popping going on in the next couple of days. :cheers:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

BernardSmith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Fermenting time again

Are these all true fermented pickles rather than acidified vegetables? I currently have a one batch of lacto-fermented cucumbers in the fridge and another I just started a couple of days ago. But I have a question.
Have you ever pickled mushrooms? Is there anything I need to consider before I pickle a batch (store bought). I pickle my vegetables in a 5% brine solution. Is that OK for 'rooms?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

I mainly do lacto-fermented pickles Bernard. These all are quietly fizzing on the countertop now.

I rarely use vinegar - although I do like a bit of chutney. I make a rather nice farmhouse chutney (Branston pickle-ish) and a fabulous carrot and ginger chutney.

Oh and while I was in the preserving mood I made a couple of tiny jars of chia seed jam with homegrown strawberries, raspberries and jostaberries. I'll freeze one of them - preserve is a misnomer really as it only keeps for a couple of weeks, but I really like it because it keeps the fresh taste of the fruit.
Maggie

BernardSmith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The jams don't have a long shelf life because you use very little added sugar or is there another reason that they tend to spoil unless kept frozen?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't use any sugar. I've lost my taste for highly sweetened things so erythritol is just about right (it's about 60% the sweetness of sugar and doesn't affect blood sugar etc). The downside is it doesn't have the preserving properties of sugar, although my chutneys last several months without any problem. I'm not sure about fruit though - berries go fusty so quickly, and particularly as I only cook it to soften slightly I'm not going to risk it.
Maggie

Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

preserving in oil? Anyone into preserving in oils? (olive oil in my case) I have tried this for things like chillies, garlic, ginger etc but the oil usually ends up cloudy and sometimes has a wax(?) layer on top.

Or is this normal?
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've only used butter, or a thin layer of oil, on something to exclude air, never used it as the preserving medium.

I know olive oil goes cloudy if it's refrigerated but other than that I'm not sure what the problem would be.

The wax layer sounds like stearic acid, but I didn't know olive oil contained any. I know palm oil does. Maybe olive oil has some similar thing or, I hesitate to ask, are you sure your oil is pure? I've read that olive oil in the USA is often heavily "diluted". We have much stricter regulations in the EU (for now anyway) but I have no idea about Australia.
Maggie

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you preserve in oil, you still need to use something slightly acidic, I usually use balsamic vinegar

Weedo

I have an excess of Kale I am considering fermenting (because we have declared it inedible cooked normally) as well as a plethora of turnip /radish greens. Ideas as to the most suitable process for these - I have never fermented veg before.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kale makes good kraut, or kimchi, although I'd mix it with some milder cabbage for balance.

Not really a true lacto-ferment, because of the vinegar, but it's very tasty and great for any greens - I've made it with mustard greens, turnip tops and radish tops. I see no reason why it wouldn't work with any other robust greens, like kale. Very simple too - you can find other, possibly more authentic, recipes online.

Vietnamese mustard green pickles
3 lb mustard greens
1 cup salt
3 cups cold water
1 3qt jar

Wash and clean greens and chop to 1” pieces.
Dissolve salt in cold water and immerse greens for 7-8 hours.
Rinse greens without squeezing or bruising. Put in jar – don’t press down.

1 ¼ cup sugar
3 cups water
1 cup white vinegar

Bring to boil and stir. Take off heat and leave for 6 minutes.
Drain any remaining liquid from greens.
After 6 mins pour sugar vinegar over greens.

Leave on counter. Edible after 2 days, leave longer for more sourness. Refrigerate after 3 days.

As usual it's a recipe I found when faced with tons of greens and didn't think to save the author. My thanks to them anyway.
Maggie

Weedo

Thanks Maggie, I will try this one and a more traditional ferment.
I think my issues with edibility is climatic - too warm and dry so the veg concentrate nutrients in the leaf making them very bitter(tougher and harder than usual) its the same with dandelion, sorrel and cos lettuce.
I probably really need to grow these in a shade house

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds like a plan. Look at different types of kale too - some are pretty strong however you grow them ()I'm thinking particularly of Cavolo Nero, which we only grew the once!) others, like Red Russian are much milder and sweeter. The may have other names in Australia, of course.

When you make your ferments make sure to give everything a good massage. That will break down the cell walls and reduce the toughness a bit.
Maggie