Marrow Rum

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
fireypumpkin
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Marrow Rum

Hi, This marrow rum business is quite confusing, I hung my marrow up at the weekend, in a pair of tights, stuffed with sugar and hole poked in bottom, first time for me, I have about 1/2 a pint of the dark liquid and was quite excited untill I read the last post and then I thought "oh" :scratch: I have though had quite a laugh reading all the posts, there must be many marrows hanging in some funny places by what ever means all over the country in the attempt to make booze. I think I might decant the contents further and add yeast, should I restuff my marrow with sugar at some point? As I said its all a little confusing. :pale:

Fireypumpkin.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't mind me, fireypumpkin - I often get on very high horses :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:

(I'm right, though) :protest: :protest:

:lol: :lol:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

lee the pea
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hello, Iam new to here but like most people would love to make marrow rum!! sooooooooo confused
with it all. One thing which is baffling is if it gets sieved through tights,then why worry about getting EVERY seed out? HEEEEEEEELLLP!

Rattyhorses
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 55.52N
longitude: 02.04W

i have some marrow rum on the go and used the method MKG has mentioned and its going great guns. all i did was half the marrow, take the seeds out, peel it the chop it into bits that will fit the neck of the demi john, i then added the yeast per pack instructions (normal brewers yeast) then the sugar and mixed (well shook) together, now it is sat by my desk bubbling away. cant put it anywhere else as i have no room with my other home brews :lol:
Rachael (aka Ratty)

Come to the dark side, we have cookies

chilitony
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

In reply to Lee the Pea, the marrow rum does not get sieved through the tights, the tights are there to hold the marrow upright so that you can add the sugar at the top and make a hole in the bottom for the rum to drip out.
Tony :wave:
captus nidore culinae (caught by the odor of the kitchen)

lee the pea
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi all. ive got some super yeast in the fridge that i have used a couple of times. Is it crucial to throw it out after 3 months? Mine is just over 4 months now. Thanks

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's a little bit like sell-by dates on canned goods - it's OK for a lot longer than most people think, but it will go to the great yeast garden in the sky eventually. Do a quick test. Put some warm (not hot) water in a cup, mug, bottle, whatever - about a cupful is fine. Add a teaspoon of sugar and stir to dissolve. Add a bit of your yeast. Wait a few hours and than take a look. If you see any signs of bubbles, frothing, yeast going up and down in the liquid - anything at all, really, except absolutely nothing - then your yeast is OK.

Mike

lee the pea
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks Mike (MKG) done that and although not frothing it has got lots of "bits" going slowly up and down. Ill use it for a while longer then buy some more. Cheers Lee

froggy68
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Right just started this today, Filled over grown courgette with a dark brown sugar, yeast and lemon juice currently standing in a jug in the kitchen, the sugar has already turned to a liquid.

GojuKarateGuy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi All

I need a bit of help here, ive grown some marrows, cut the tops off scooped out the pith and seeds, packed it with demerara sugar, table spoon of bakers yeast and juice of an orange and resealed it, pricked a few holes in the bottom of marrow and hung in a pair of expensive tights i bought from T***o's! ( im a guy didnt know tights cost that much!!) anyway left it for three weeks and had a very yeasty smelling dark brown type liquid in bottom of container, at the end of the third week i scooped out and strained the rest of the marrow, bear in mind the marrow i grew weighed 14lbs, i had plenty to crack on with. second stage was to get two demi johns, after cleaning and sterilizing the demi johns i then added the mixture to the demi johns about a quarter full, topped it up with cool boiled water, added yeast again with a juice of an orange and fitted an airlock, im now getting to the stage where the bubbles in the airlock is slowing down rapidly so whats my next step? do i need to rack it off to get rid of the marrow and sediments in demi john and add a campden tablet ( what the hell does the campden tablet do, my guess is it kills bacteria in the wine/rum) is this necessary as im not 100 percent sure what to do next.....

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your guess is right - plus it prevents oxidation. Add one crushed Campden table to the CLEAN demijohn and rack from the full one into that. When you've done that, put an airlock on and leave it in a cool place for a couple of days - fermentation CAN restart, so keep your eyes open.

You've done yours a little differently to the optimists. As you've diluted the result to two gallons (have I got that right?), it's not going to be very strong. How much sugar in total did you use?

Mike

GojuKarateGuy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for the confirmation so i did guess it correctly...thought that would be the reason for the campden tablet, so your saying to add a campden tablet to a clean sterilized demi john and add the racked marrow rum into it. this makes sense, ok with regards to my mixture because i had a 14lb marrow i added 2kilos of demerara sugar into the marrow, got loads of gunk and it was very sticky and stunk to high heaven ( yeasty beer smell ) also didnt use wine making yeast but used bakers yeast. When i added the gunk to the demi johns evenly i thought it was about a third full of the demi john so added two thirds of cool boiled water to it. I did think i might dilute it to a certain extent but this is my first attempt so its a case of finding my feet as i go along.
Next project will be mead as that seems like a good challenge :iconbiggrin:

Regards

Duncan

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Two kilograms - that must have been some marrow!!!!

Anyway, as you've split it into two and topped up, that's one kilogram per gallon, which will theoretically give you wine at 11% ABV. Probably a little less as you've used baker's yeast - but still perfectly OK for wine.

So, when you finally come to drink it, I'll be very interested in how it tastes - exactly how much marrow flavour is in there.

Mike

GojuKarateGuy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Ah mike there is a correction here, ive not split the marrow into two, i used one marrow and believe me it was hard work removing the pith and seeds but i did it with the help of some kitchen equipment, and then i packed the sugar into the marrow and like i say the rest is history...so you agree about the campden tablets being added to the clean demi john with the marrow filtered from the ist stage demi johns? yes i will let you know what it tastes like, hopefully it should be nice well thats the plan anyway lol

Cheers

Dunc

Colt45_six_gun
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi All just racked 4 large 70cl bottles of Marrow Rum which has been left in a demijohn for at least a year , following a recipe from a long ...long time a go, it has an acquired taste however but there is a distinctively warming after warmth shall I say after the first few sips!!! I have yet to find other guinea pigs to try it out on . As I have no idea what this Marrow rum should taste like I am a little concerned as to its affect on the human pallete :banghead:

Can any one help me in describing there taste experience of this particular Grog? :pukeright:
After all I am not looking to seriously poison any one or for that matter obtain a law suit for administering paint stripper....oh sorry Marrow Rum your honour!! :salute:

Thanks ...in anticipation

Colt