canning

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
2steps
A selfsufficientish Regular

canning

does anyone know any good canning websites or books? our library has none and what I've read online makes it sound very expensive. my grandad used to make all sorts of chutneys, pickles and stuff and reuse normal jars from stuff like jam or honey he'd bought in shops. Unfortunatly I can't ask him as he died 2 years ago :(

Chickenlady

I make chutney and always reuse old jars and their screw tops. If they have a plastic covering on the underside of the lid, as most do, there is no danger of the metal reacting with the vinegar in the chutney.

However, home canning is a whole different ball game. I have found various US sites, but have been put off my lots of warnings about the possibility of deadly botulism if you don't do it right! There seem to be lots of chemists on this site who will know a lot more than I do.

I am sure there are lots of people on here who have done it and lived to tell the tale though...

(if nobody replies to this thread, we could be in trouble...)

Chickenlady

So excited! I am Barbara Goode! So some good has come of my insomnia!
(got us just after 5 am with a sore throat and temperature. Better start a new thread on home cures...)

2steps

for sore throats, honey is good :)

Hello

I too am interested in canning. I love growing my fruit and veg and love to preserve it for later months. I have been looking into all ways of preserving as I am a bit fed up of vinegary chutneys and pickles as good as they are.

I find it suprising that in the land where canning was invented there is distinct lack of a canning scene in the UK.

I have researched the canning process and it is the process is swamped with danger signs and warnings. But they are easily avoided. from what i've read: the thing with canning is that you cant vary the reciepe in any way at all. all receipies are researched and tested for safety.

With canning you have to make sure:

* you follow all receipies to the T
* you only use canning jars
* never reuse lids. the Mason ball / kilner jars have a seperate lid and screw band.
* add the appropiate amount of acid if it is a low acid food: lemon juice/vinegar to lower the PH

I found this link to explain every question i could think off

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributi ... J0516.html

Chickenlady

Very interesting - thanks mystery guest!

Saw an ad for a fruit and veg dryer today - has anybody tried this way of preserving your crops?

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'DAy Chickenlady,

Yup, made my own solar drier, it is on the site somewhere! I Have dried most veggies that Igrown at some stage, some were OK some were not very successful. Mushrooms, carrot, potato, corn, capsicum, chilli etc dried well. Cabbage was so-so and onions and cauliflower went brownish and kind of yuch!
:mrgreen:
Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

shiney

Blimey Nev, dried cabbage, that sounds pretty high octane! :shock:

Do you think we have the weather here in the UK for drying stuff? It gets so damp etc.
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dunno Shiney, if you have a damp cloudy climate I suppose it is unlikely but in high summer may be possible. As for the cabbage, drying it concentrated the odour and you could smell it through a plastic bag, glass jar and as soon as you opened the cupboard. High octane is right! :shock:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Naomi
Tom Good
Tom Good

I bought an electric food drier from a boot fair for £2 and it dries fruit and veg really well.
I dip my fruit slices in lemon juice to stop them going brown before drying them and vegetables get dipped in salt water or lemon juice.
They are stored in airtight jars once dry and my children often dip into them to snack on dried apple rings, pear slices or dried strawberry slices etc. I have had good success with mushrooms and onions rings and the same drying can be done in a very cool oven with the door left ajar over night.
You can thread the apple or onion rings onto bamboo canes and slide the canes into the grooves that hold the shelves in the oven . That way the air can get around the fruit or veg and they don't touch each other so they dry evenly.