Treacle Ale - Help please

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
benner
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Treacle Ale - Help please

Hello :drunken:
I'm due to bottle up my attempt at treacle ale tonight... it's still bubbling away though. Does anyone know if it's supposed to be fizzy? Don't want to bottle it if it's going to explode on me. Thanks :cheers:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

If it's still fizzing, it's still fermenting. If you know how much sugar you had in it in the first place (by using a hydrometer) and how much sugar is left (also the hydrometer) you can bottle it IF and only IF you are sure that the residual sugar would be no more than the equivalent of a half tesaspoonful or so per bottle. That would give you a sparkling ale. But then, only do it IF you are sure that your bottles will withstand the pressure.

If you're not sure, ferment it to dryness and then bottle it (in proper beer bottles) with said half teaspoonful of sugar added per bottle. Don't let the bottles get warm.

benner
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks MKG. As it happens I bottled it before I read your advice, I've left them in our outdoor cupboard bit and just checked them a moment ago when I got in from work... no explosions yet! Fingers are well and truly crossed though. :cheers:

Mark B
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

To help prevent explosions bottle in X2 litre pop bottles, those things can withstand a lot of pressure.