Progress Report 2

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Progress Report 2

At last, there's something positive to report. The discussions are all but over and an amicable agreement has been reached, so our Site Geek (All Hail - don't forget the "All Hail" lest the whole thing disappear in a puff of smoke) has begun planning for the data migration. Unless a huge spanner gets into the works, that will take place on Tuesday, 5th August, and we'll give you plenty of warning - you'll need that because the site will disappear for an appreciable part - and possibly the greater part - of that day. Yes, it's possible to do a "live" migration if you're a masochist. But if you do that then you have to do a secondary catch-up migration to gather up any data introduced after the migration start, and it's all a pain in the backside and there's only one John (let's hear it!!!!).

Good as it will be to have the migration over and done with (and it will be a monumental achievement) bear in mind that it will represent the beginning, not the end, of the Site Geek's (??? Are you chanting?) repair efforts. Don't allow that to gather the gloom in here, though - putting it another, more optimistic, way, things can only get better.

CUE: D-Ream, Professor Brian Cox, cheering crowds doing Mexican waves .............
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Progress Report 2

And John Prescott miming to a song he's never heard !!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fortunately, I can't find that on YouTube.

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgNKzyp6JAk

Nearly....

Good Work Mike and Site Geek.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the appreciation, boboff - but it isn't just John and I who are beavering away. There's the whole new crop of mods (and a handful of "older" mods) and, no matter how hard we were trying, we couldn't have got to this point without Andy and Dave.

Sounds like an Oscar acceptance :lol:

Mike

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Less of the "old"! It's not polite. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just thought you'd all like to know that if you Google "john prescott miming to things can only get better", this thread is the first hit. I don't know if that's good or whether we should all be much more careful in the future :lol: