Sad News

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sad News

Through reasons that I may well explain at a later date, I have had to give up my beloved allotment in Oxford. It was one of the hardest decisions I have made, as after two years of hard, (but enjoyable) labor the plot was near to completion. I had removed most of the brambles, couch grass, horsetail and even trees all systematically, without the use of power-tools or any motorized transport. What wasn't to be worked that year was undercover.

The main reason for this announcement is I really don't want it to go back to a state of neglect. Without sounding too sentimental, it was hard enough giving it up - to know my labor was for nothing would be twice as hard. If you know anyone in East Oxford, or live there yourself then please call the council and see if you can get the plot in Barracks Lane allotment - B field (the top strip of the allotment running alongside the golf course), mine is the third one along with the wicker fencing.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mate,

That's sad to hear :cry: , I can understand how attached to a garden you can become. Will you be doing any growing at all?

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

jema
Tom Good
Tom Good

I assume from what you say there is a surplus of allotments, which is a shame as well :(

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Optimistic

I will defiantly be growing again, I've got a rosemary and a sage cutting given to me by someone on my old allotment. I am temporarily in my home town until I decide my next move and a friend of mine has kindly offered me some space on his allotment.

I am remaining optimistic that someone will take it on soon. A lot of the unattended plots are in a much worse state of repair. Mine had a habit of becoming over-grown very quickly as the next plot was full of brambles. I did luckily have the foresight to cut a lot of that back to stop it encroaching any further on my plot.

PlayingWithFire
Tom Good
Tom Good

Allotments of one of the finest things about urban life - a mark of civilisation. Sadly they seem to be under appreciated ... going the same way as electric milk floats ... good ideas lost.

All that digging ... part of you is in that soil ... I feel for you.

~M
Malcolm Handoll
... spreading happiness in Orkney, Scotland, and beyond

in all things "leave it a little better than you find it"

Survival Skills ~ http://www.allfivesenses.com
Social Enterprise ~ http://www.touchwoodproject.com
My Blog ~ http://play2survive.wordpress.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

PlayingWithFire wrote:Allotments of one of the finest things about urban life - a mark of civilisation. Sadly they seem to be under appreciated ... going the same way as electric milk floats ... good ideas lost.

All that digging ... part of you is in that soil ... I feel for you.

~M
I can't understand why more people do not have allotments, there are empty plots on mine too. I hope they do not end up like milk floats, I think there is still enough interest. But I did read today that another 120 000 houses are need in the UK and they seem to think that allotments are less important. If we knocked down all the out of town supermarkets we would have room, surely we don't need as many Tescos as we have.

How perfect were milk floats. Recycled glass, electric milk floats.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

so sorry to hear you're giving up your plot....up here there is definitly a shortage of allotments....our site has 146 plots and only three are vacant and they are very overgrown...we give the bad ones rent free for the first year to encourage people. The plotties are mainly retired people and some have more than one plot...but there are encouraging signs of young people coming in good numbers. Incidently my brother lives in Braintree in Essex and the Council say there are no plots and no plans for any in the area....the land is all being used for standsted airport and huge car parks