CD dot dot

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

CD dot dot

Now here's a weird thing - I've just posted a message that kept triggering the following error message whenever I trive to preview or submit it:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@selfsufficientish.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
After a lot of trial and error and experimenting in the practice section, I finally found it was caused by the inclusion of the letters CD followed by two dots. It's OK to write "CD .." (with a space); so is "C.." and "D.." But "CDdotdot!" triggers an error message.

Anybody else want to try. What could cause it?
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup!

Same thing happened to me.........no idea why......

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

How strange. But why would you want to put two full stops after CD anyway? :?

John Headstrong

cd dot dot is a command to change directory in linux (and DOS/windows)

it appears that the way the server that this site is on is configured with mod_security quite high, but really, this is a good sign. I have seen a few forums get hacked in my time and one in particular, visforvoltage.com got so badly hacked that untold great data on electric vehicles was lost, they are still picking though the database months later for the good "how to" threads and photos (the photos are totally out of context, just random photos)

so note to admins, your hosting seems quite good, worth checking that you are on the latest version of forum software.

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Millymollymandy wrote:why would you want to put two full stops after CD anyway?
'Twas punctuation... an ellipsis... three dots to mark an unfinished sentence.

...but I was having problems with the first two dots of it.
John Headstrong wrote:It appears that the way the server that this site is on is configured with mod_security quite high, but really, this is a good sign.

Ah, right! I'd better brush up on the command line, then, so I know what else not to write.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Millymollymandy

Muddypause wrote:
Millymollymandy wrote:why would you want to put two full stops after CD anyway?
'Twas punctuation... an ellipsis... three dots to mark an unfinished sentence.

...but I was having problems with the first two dots of it.
OK I understand now!

Millymollymandy

John Headstrong wrote:cd dot dot is a command to change directory in linux (and DOS/windows)

it appears that the way the server that this site is on is configured with mod_security quite high, but really, this is a good sign. I have seen a few forums get hacked in my time and one in particular, visforvoltage.com got so badly hacked that untold great data on electric vehicles was lost, they are still picking though the database months later for the good "how to" threads and photos (the photos are totally out of context, just random photos)

so note to admins, your hosting seems quite good, worth checking that you are on the latest version of forum software.
Thanks for the info - I'll pass it on to Andy in case he doesn't see this thread.

Cornelian
Living the good life
Living the good life

Two other words that forums won't often accept are curl and perl - let's see if they get through here ... if they do then security isn't that high.

If you want to be happy for a day, buy a car. If you want to be happy for a weekend, get married. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, be a gardener.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cornelian wrote:Two other words that forums won't often accept are curl and perl - let's see if they get through here ... if they do then security isn't that high.
oh dear will have to look into that then.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging