energy monitors

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
brett53
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

energy monitors

ho hum - was looking at my efergy monitor today and thought "that's reading low- considering whats running at the mo " - so did a bit of investigating - i dug out my spare ( original ) monitor an electrisave - and then had a rummage around in the rats nest that passes for an electric cupboard ( why is it they never seem to do tidy wiring in these ?? )

well first things first - had it on the WRONG cable :oops: :oops: - the negative not the live - well once i had figured out which was the RIGHT one ( why don't they wrap a bit of red tape round the bloody thing to identify it ?? jeez is that TOO much to ask ?? or do they think we all bleeding psychic ?? ) - i noticed that if i moved the sensor the reading varied ( the sensor is quite loose on my cables - sooooooooo

i cut a small section of plastic cable covering from some old wire and taped it to the mains lead - the sensor now fits snugly and does not alter the reading if wiggled :thumbright: - then i fitted the other sensor to the same cable a few inches away - result A; the monitors are reading i assume accurately - well they should be as i turned everything off bar one 400 halogen fire ( which uses 387 w in reality ) -AND B: they now agree within about 30 w of each other - which i suppose aint bad given the verities of manufacturing / differing models etc

so you may want to check that your monitor is not doing the same thing ?? - turn everything off bar a KNOWN load eg a 1 kw fire ( having one of those plug in power monitor thingies helps as there is usually a W setting which will tell you pretty accurately the load ) and see if the main monitor reads true ( or near enough for jazz )

if so REJOICE :thumbright: -if not time to do some investigating :roll:

usual cautions : if you don't know whats what in the meter cupboard call some one who does ( i do and STILL made a mistake- my error - rushing when i fitted it ) ) - and of course don't interfere with anything else in there as electricity is dangerous etc etc - never poke around with metal tools etc or remove covers - and if any thing looks wrong like bare wires ( mice and rats love the plastic ) - call your supplier immediately - blah blah blah - oh come on folks this is common dog

nooooooow what WILL be interesting is if the NEW new monitor i am going to get from British gas as part of their "energy smart " scheme - reads any thing like the same - well if all else fails i can average out the results eh ?? :scratch: :thumbright:

one things for sure i got to cut back some where :scratch: - though where i don't know ?? - have already tuned ff those stupid electric brick heaters - so that will save a bit - ho hum - guess a visit to primark ( hush my mouth ) is in order to buy some more fleeces and long johns :lol: :lol:
the validity of ones ideas are best measured by the resistance they attract

and if enough people tell you are WRONG - do it ANYWAY !!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: energy monitors

You posted this twice brett and this one seemed to have an extra few lines. Otherwise couldn't spot any difference.
So I've deleted the earlier version. Hope that's OK.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin