Clean your clothes without detergent

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Ohhh that's a pain Stoney - I've got the lakeland eco ball and it copes reasonably well with most things... THAT said.. I'm about to send off for a free sample of soapnuts... they have had a very good press on the green living board, and I think on here too - Woodmaiden uses them for the twins nappies and is VERY pleased with them.

www.inasoapnutshell.com - want me to put your name and address in for a free sample too??? Might as well do it in the same envelope.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Stonehead

The results for loads two and three!

Load number two was mainly small boy clothes, so moderately dirty. The ecoballs did fairly well with these on a cold wash, although some stain remover would not have gone amiss on the worst grime.

Load number three was the towels, including one that was damp and a bit smelly. All the towels looked clean after being washed, but the smelly one still had that damp mouldering smell. If we had some sunshine, I'd hang it outside and that would probably freshen it up, but hanging it on the clothes airer just made the kitchen smell mouldy!

So, from my experience, I'd say the ecoballs are moderately effective if you get the load right. That means light to moderate soiling, stain remover on the worst bits, nothing too smelly and nothing too dirty or with too high a hygiene risk.

I hope this unscientific test helps.

Stonehead

multiveg
Living the good life
Living the good life

Soapwort seed was listed in the 2006 organic gardening catalogue 8)

Mandyz
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I was just reviewing this thread of discussion because we've found that the Canadian version of Ecover laundry detergent (Nature Clean is the line) has been leeching colour from OH's coloured clothes. I'm looking for alternatives now (though OH ran off and bought himself a small bottle of Tide for his clothes and then did his own load of laundry.)

I think I'll start with vinegar, since I already use it to clean everything else in the house :)

WellyS
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I used ecoballs for about a year and was very disappointed with them, the clothes were never clean. I then tried them with the ecover liquid detergent and that was better. Now I use them with the ecover powder and that seems to work fine but really defeats the object.

The other problem is that the rubber rings are forever coming off, in fact we found one in the quilt cover last night.

Sharon

Shirley

YAY another from Aberdeenshire :)))))

Not good about the rings coming off the eco balls... mine didn't have one (lakeland one).

I've just ordered some soapnuts - hope they will be here asap!!
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

ray7
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Shirlz2005 wrote:YAY another from Aberdeenshire :)))))

Not good about the rings coming off the eco balls... mine didn't have one (lakeland one).

I've just ordered some soapnuts - hope they will be here asap!!
We got the soapnut powder. It arrived yesterday and we have tried it already. Upto now it seems to do a good job and the clothes are lovely and soft.
Ray

Hillbilly
Living the good life
Living the good life

I also have ordered soapnuts - will be doing all 'dark' washing with them but sticking to Ecover for my whites I think - judging by general comments on here and from friends.

PS Hello WellyS :mrgreen:

Hillbilly
Living the good life
Living the good life

Soapnuts arrived this morning and currently 'doing' as dark wash with them.

Anyone know if they can be used for soiled nappies (rinsed beforehand obviously) - have checked a couple fo my green parenting sites but nothing written on that subject :?

x posting this on Eco-parenting bit.

lotus_eater
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hillbilly wrote:Soapnuts arrived this morning and currently 'doing' as dark wash with them.

Anyone know if they can be used for soiled nappies (rinsed beforehand obviously) - have checked a couple fo my green parenting sites but nothing written on that subject :?

x posting this on Eco-parenting bit.
I use soapnuts for my baby's washables and I have no problems with them

Olive

My soapnut sample arrived today - enough to do at least 10-12 washes!

did a whites and a coloureds and i am sooooooooooooooo impressed... didnt put any softener in either and clothes came out lovely, clean, fresh and soft!

Am def buying these and going to add ecover bleach for the whites!

Shirley

I'm impressed with them so far... I love the way they make your clothes feel soft after washing :D
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

beaneee
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi everyone -I've just found this forum and I think it's great!!

I've been using eco-balls for about a year now with no probs. If I think the wash will need a boost, I just add a bit of borax to the drawer.

I've just started using soapnuts aswell (not in the same wash!), but the jury is still out on that one -I like to give these things a fair shot!

Stonehead -on the issue of water usage, you only need to use a short cycle with the eco-balls and you can skip the rinse cycle reducing the amount of water used.

DaisyDaisy
Tom Good
Tom Good

I've been using eco-balls for nearly 5 months and am satisfied with the results, although this may be a bit un representative of many households as I don't wash clothes for children and I have a desk job so my eco-balls are rarely challenged!!

It took me a a couple of washes to work out how to be quite happy.
Now I add some lavender essential oil into the fabric conditioner dispenser so that everything comes out with the traditional "just washed" smell. Anything that needs a bit of extra attention gets a blast from Ecover's stain remover.
I try to remember to take it out of the washing machine as soon as the door can be opened, rather than forgetting about it (my old habit) to avoid it all smelling msuty.
Towels were smelly musty when I used them but since I've been hanging them in a way that gives them a lot of air circulation - ideally I'd hang them outside but I don't often get that opportunity.

Being a water miser I am delighted that I can use a cycle that has far less water.

On the down side, I'm beginning to notice that white clothes are looking less white, but the simple solution is to dye those and avoid white!

:flower: :flower:

NancyAnne
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Look what I found. If I understand this correctly, they are poisonous. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saponin
Well, I looked at the information again and you have to EAT them to be poisonous. :) Sorry, didn't mean to scare anyone. If you have pets or young children please use caution with the soapnuts.