Laundry detergents

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Laundry detergents

I've heard that there are less phosphatey type things in washing powders so that the makers don't have to put some sort of caustic symbol on their packaging (so it looks better, not offputting to consumers). This is probably why for a long time now washing powders don't seem to work as well as they used to. However, now we need to add all sorts of extras before, during, after, whenever, to the wash, which 1. means that in fact roughly equal or more chemicals are being used just from different products at different stages in the wash, and 2. it costs us more as we need to buy the extra products and/or rewash (not to mention all the extra containers and packaging and transport etc involved). Are there any old style washing powders. that wash as they should and did, available anywhere and if so what are they and where can they be bought?

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Laundry detergents

fruitfly wrote:However, now we need to add all sorts of extras before, during, after, whenever, to the wash,
Really? I've never felt the need... It's only advertising that tries to persuade you that you need these things!

I have the following ground rule: never buy anything that is being advertised. Nobody's stopped me yet because my clothes aren't as brilliant white as they were when new.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Nope. I use own brand non-biological powder to wash and a bottle of white vinegar as fabric conditioner (to help make sure all the soap residue's out rather than make fluffy). I occasionally use an oxy bleach product if something is badly stained or the cats have peed where they didn't oughta.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I tend not to use powder any more. I use laundry liquid but tend to use something like Ecoleaf, which has nothing horrible in it, is safe to use in my septic tank, and for people that think Eco washing liquids don't work, they should see some of the clothes we put in the machine, the OH does engineering, cementing, mends cars and motorbikes and mine are just usually caked in mud. I wash at 40 degrees, tea towels go in at 60, so now we see that because everyone is washing at 30, their machines are full of bacterial soup and need a special disinfectant

fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've only used own brands as normal ones since I could not see any extra value in the branded ones. However, I only felt like commenting as the last straw was real disappointment in one of the pricier branded liquids. Now, I've always used the powders and not typically conditioners, so I thought I'd give the liquid laundry detergent ago a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't impressed with the washing but by golly I was walking around like a perfume counter. Anyway, after a really bad result today I went over the print on the bottle, only to find it was a fabric conditioner! My only excuse can be that it was on special offer and I wasn't thinking.

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

definitely the "eco" brands liquids (powders never dissolve completely especially if you use cold water) I go with GA on the white vinegar as a softner substitute but also because it seems that my public servant white business shirts survive the plane trips better - less ironing at the other end. However I would suggest soaking in the Oxy powders pre wash rather than adding to the wash as it does a better job and uses less product.

On the "dark" side, I am convinced after 2 years use that the top end, high efficiency (and expensive) machines (name begins with M) use significantly less water, less power and detergent for a better result - BUT I haven't investigated their global footprint yet.

In answer to your questions, yes - I am a 60 plus, shiny bum public servant but I do do all the washing, ironing and cooking in our busy home (mainly because I can't stand the noise of a vacuum cleaner or lawn mower - I will iron shirts but I refuse to iron grass.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just bought in bulk from Ecotopia, part of the Ecotricity franchise. Excellent service with next day delivery.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Green Aura wrote:Nope. I use own brand non-biological powder to wash and a bottle of white vinegar as fabric conditioner (to help make sure all the soap residue's out rather than make fluffy). I occasionally use an oxy bleach product if something is badly stained or the cats have peed where they didn't oughta.
Do you put the vinegar in the conditioner slot or pour it in with the water as it refills for rinsing?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

In the conditioner part.
Maggie

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

diggernotdreamer wrote:I wash at 40 degrees, tea towels go in at 60, so now we see that because everyone is washing at 30, their machines are full of bacterial soup and need a special disinfectant
Me too, but that just reminded me of something. A few years back I noticed my washing wasn't getting as clean as before. I changed powders a couple of times to no avail. I can't remember how we discovered it but it turned out the water wasn't heating up so everything was getting washed on cold (sometimes very cold) :lol:

Anyway the washer was over 20 years old so we replaced it with the latest version of the same brand. I agree with Weedo about the quality of the machine - mine begins with L though :wink: Oh and it plays a happy tune when it finishes a wash. :lol:
Maggie

sususanan

I put some things there weren't really dirty in the wash recently without detergent and on a high temperature with a few drops of essential oil for the rinse and on extra spin and they came out perfectly clean. I wouldn't do it with items that need proper washing, but it's worth considering occasionally.

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

susu

I do the same thing with the delecate frillies (not mine) and sweaty exercise gear (also not mine) Express cycle, warm wash and a couple of drops of Lemon Myrtle essential oil in the conditioner part. These thingies are not really dirty MY gear is usually covered in oil, dirt and and the stuff better used in the vegie bed.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

happyhippy

baldybloke wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 4:13 pm Just bought in bulk from Ecotopia, part of the Ecotricity franchise. Excellent service with next day delivery.
BB,I just tried to find Ecotopia and it appears its now closed.

PurpleMcGowan
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Facebook Name: Ali McGowan

I bought an Eco Ball a few months back and haven't used detergent since. I've got a 5 yr old and an 11yr old, and only wash at 3o degrees, so its being put to the test. So far I'm pretty happy, everything comes out clean, and the machine gets the odd boil wash to keep it clean inside.
Its Better To Be Mad Than Boring