fridge light

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

fridge light

is there a low usage version maybe using leds for the humble fridge light?

I know fridges are a large use of electricity anyway but for most people there an essential so maybe we could save a little energy by using a low electric drawing fridge bulb.

The way i look at it is every little improvement makes a differance.

If no such product is available then i may be willing to design and make a few of them if people would be interested in buying them (NON PROFIT OF COURSE)

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Take the bulb out altogether. My fridge light stopped working years ago, and it's no real hardship.

I thought this was going to be a much more interesting debate about 'how do you know the light is out when the door is shut?' The domestic version of the Schrödinger's Cat experiment, maybe.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Shirley

Muddy - I was expecting exactly the same :mrgreen: :lol:

I reckon that the power used by the light when the fridge door is open is minimal compared to the fact that the fridge will be using masses of power trying to keep the temperature down to an acceptable level :)
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

paradox wrote:If no such product is available then i may be willing to design and make a few of them if people would be interested in buying them (NON PROFIT OF COURSE)
So are you a product desinger? There could be other things that you could design and make that would have much more benefit; my light does not work in the fridge and it is no hardship. I think rather than pay for a new bulb most people would rather do without if they wanted to be greener.

Fridges work better when there are cold things in them so filling them up with cans of beer really helps :drunken: Also keeping the coil at the back clean, ensuring the door seal is entact, making a hole from your cellar to just under the coil to keep it cool, not boxing your fridge in all will save a fair bit of electricity.

Right lets have a think of what would be a good invention....... A Solar kettle for use camping could fold out some reflective panels with a black container in the middle to absorb the heat. er, er that
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

These are things we are looking at just now, trying to get decent refrigeration into our caravan. We are splashing out on an inverter and solar panels, because we can use them when our dwelling gets built, but I dunno what we would do otherwise. We tried freezing icebricks in our fridge at our house, and putting them in the caravan fridge, but it only worked for a day or so. So, we will be disconnecting the little freezer on the fridge, and taking out the light-bulb - any other ideas? Bearing in mind we are headed for summer here....

den_the_cat
Living the good life
Living the good life

that makes me wonder whether it wouldn't be more efficient to keep the freezer on but full, than disconnect it and leave it empty - I assume that the seal between freezer and rest of the fridge isn't perfect so the fridge would be trying to cool the freezer space while with the freezer on any escaping cold air would only be cooling the fridge.

Erm, but thats not scientific - can anyone work it out either way?