soap nuts

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
maggie144
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

soap nuts

Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi Guys,

I have today received my first batch of soap nuts and eco freindly washing up liquid,

both are great have done 2 loads of washing and i am very impressed.

washing up is cleaner than i ever had in the dishwasher which is going out in the garage to be recycled.

maggie :cheers:

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:45 pm

Maggie....

Offer your dishwasher on your local freecycle group - someone will be very glad to take it off your hands :cheers:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Matt
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:35 am

I thought you meant conkers when I spotted 'soap nuts'. Has anyone tried conkers for this?

Matt.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:27 am

Matt wrote:I thought you meant conkers when I spotted 'soap nuts'. Has anyone tried conkers for this?

Matt.

Conkers???

I am awaiting some soap nuts in the post to try out.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Shirley

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:28 am

Yes - conkers... I've seen this mentioned elsewhere - not sure where now. I can't remember the outcome either but will go and see if I've bookmarked it somewhere.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

maggie144
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

just to update you all

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:57 pm

freecycled the dishwasher, went within 20 mins of posting.

soap nuts are great, and i have saved heaps not buying washing powder

don't buy cleaning materials now either, us a soloution of vinegar and water, for cleaning most things, for stubborn things like the toilet pan, add some baking soda to it works great.

regards maggie
check out my blog site at http://maggie14413.spaces.live.com
you'll love it if you are into recycling, endangered animals, and all things eco freindly

multiveg
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:52 pm

Dunno about soap nuts, though have thought about them. I am, however, going to try to grow soapwort.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:27 pm

hmmmm. I used to like soapnuts, until i realised that there's more embedded energy in them than buying a british made eco friendly washing powder (such as ecover).

They're shipped over from india.

If you're one of the lucky ones who gets an actual seed in them, then do plant it and then you've got home-grown soapnuts. Or, there's soapwort.

Sorry to P*** on the bonfire, but embedded energy is as much of a concern as chemicals for me.

Shirley

Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:31 am

I got two seeds in mine - one I sent to a friend in Dorset (woodmaiden - who is going to be on it's not easy being green on Thursday!) to plant and one I planted myself. Nothing from mine... not sure about woody - must check. Do you know anyone that has grown them in the UK Fee?
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

red

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:33 am

the.fee.fairy wrote:hmmmm. I used to like soapnuts, until i realised that there's more embedded energy in them than buying a british made eco friendly washing powder (such as ecover).

is ecover made in Britain? I thought it ws Belgium..
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:08 pm

I was certain it was britain...must check that!

I've only heard about 1 person growing a soapnut tree, and they lived in the US, so i don't know about Britain. not sure about the climate here.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:12 pm

From the ecover website:

Ecover is an international company active in the production of ecological detergents and cleansing agents. It was founded in 1980 in Belgium. Ecover has been a trendsetter from the very start: as a pioneering company, it marketed a phosphate-free washing powder even before phosphates were branded as a problem.

Since 1999, under the sole ownership of Jørgen Philip-Sørensen CBE, Ecover has developed into the world’s largest producer of ecological detergents and cleansing products. Besides its headquarters in Malle, close to Antwerp in Belgium, Ecover has sites in the United States of America, the United Kingdom and Switzerland, and its products are marketed in more than 20 countries.

It seems that they are manufactured in a number of countries, UK being one. I've e-mailed them to make sure though!

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:15 pm

The local organic market here won't stock Ecover products anymore because of some less than favourable policy that they have (sorry, can't be more specific than that). They sell 'Bio-D' products now. Bottle says 'Made in UK'. The washing up liquid is infinitely better than Ecover, and the laundry liquid seems perfectly adequate (in fact I was finding that Ecover laundry liquid was a bit pongy, anyway).
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Shirley

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:35 pm

Is it something to do with Group 4?
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

red

Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:16 pm

Muddypause wrote: and the laundry liquid seems perfectly adequate (in fact I was finding that Ecover laundry liquid was a bit pongy, anyway).

thats interesting - cos I always found ecover laundry powder fairly pointless - ok if you dont get dirty much but after catching and turning a sheep over to do its feet - you have clothes with sheep poo on them! - and I have felt its not particularly e-friendly to use a product that does not work...
though to be fair to ecover - i have not tried their powder since they improved the recipe - I notice the boxes say something on them along the lines of 'actually works now'...

perhaps i shall have to try BioD now.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Return to “Eco Products and Innovations”