Your top 5 products/Innovations

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
circlecross
A selfsufficientish Regular

going with the curmudgeon first answer of Stonehead's - an enhancement of shank's pony, the Pliko P3.

For the uninitiated, the Pliko P3 is a Mamas and Papas model of pushchair, and was marketed as a "city" buggy. It folds small enough to fit into a corsa, (with a huge tent, a baby car seat, and a travel cot!), it has lasted rough use through two children, and still on the go, and has a sort of step on the back to fit a lazy pre-schooler (can't call him a toddler anymore :( ). It is almost the lightest buggy around, (I managed to carry it up the steps outside Southwark Cathedral fully loaded) but is padded and comfy for orrible winters. And suitable form birth. It is forward facing, so won't score points with APs out there (not that a buggy would anyway), but you can have a tiddler facing you by fixing the car seat into it.

I haven't a clue how it is manufactured, so it could be a very evil thing, but these go for a song second hand and considering how ours has lasted, I am sure they would be good quality.

The Hamax "Sleepy" - a bike seat to fit on the back of your bike for kiddies, which reclines so tiddlers can snooze in comfort (or faint with fright as I suspect was the case)

nursing bras - clippy bits to release one massive milk laden boob without revealing the whole rack

digital cameras - saves lots of paper???

internet/ebay/freecycle - second hand shop on your lap (but very addictive)
"yum, yum, piggy's bum!"

http://www.myspace.com/circlecross_73

Chickenlady

I was just about to say Freecycle! Fantastic.

Am I allowed biodiesel? It is recycled from a chippie!

Slow cooker - not exactly an brand new innovation, but good anyway.

I could talk about environmentally friendly menstrual products other than the mooncup, but might be too much information...

Wall cavity insulation and condensing boiler - our house is warm at last!!!

Jane
Haste makes waste

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

telephone
the camera
home PCs
the wheel
and finally my all time favorite: the defibrilator. without it I would not be here today.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

PurpleDragon

the.fee.fairy wrote:
Ranter wrote:I suspect this isn't one that will appeal to you Duncan, but my top 'eco product' has to be my mooncup. It's also saved me a fortune on disposable sanitary wear.
y'know, i was trying to think of my top 5, and i was having a difficult time til i read this. I whole-heartedly agree!! It has to be the best eco product ever invented!
And yet, I hate mine, and have to force myself to use it every month.
PurpleDragon
~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no snooze button on a hungry cat

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

WOW PURPLE, YOU'RE THE FIRST PERSON i'VE EVER SEE THAT HAS USED ONE AND DOESN'T LIKE IT (i HAVN'T, i LOVE MY TAMPONS)

sorry for the caplock. I'm not shouting, I'm a dozy moo.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

G
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Solar/wind up radio.

Storm kettle, boils water as fast as a normal one with just a few twigs.

so on my allotment I can listen to the Archers and have a brew.
Nieve......but happy

sunnybp
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Your top 5 products/Innovations

1)Solar power vacuum tube water heater (Very popular in China)
2)Solar digital charger(For Mobile phone, MP3 and so on)
3)Solar power flashligh(No need to replace the battery at least 2 years)
4)solar power garden light(No wire)
5)Heat pump system( Use the heat in the air to heat the water)

The cost for huge solar power system may be very high. The solar power used in the small DC appliance will have a bright future.

duncang wrote:Good Afternoon!

I am just getting into all the products that are out there, from can crushers, to energy saving light bulbs, and from solar panels to dryer balls.

I would love to hear from you as to what your TOP 5 products would be, if you had to choose.. I am looking forward to hearing the variety of products out there, and ultimately then go out and try some for myself!!

Over to you, and thanks a lot!

Duncan
Technical support engineer
Sunny billion power LTD
www.sunnybp.com

brett53
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

1. any type of powered wood or metal working machinery - well its not like you uses em day in day out - but boy do they extend the stuff you CAN do for yourself - and so at the end of the day are sort of "Eco"

2. tools of any sort - spending money on tools AND learning how to use them is THE best investment you will ever make :thumbright:

3. mobility scooters - clean green and deadly silent :lol: - could not do without mine

4. powered screwdrivers - if you have arthritis you will understand

5. students - as much as i hate them - they have ONE use as far as i go and that the stuff they discard !! - well as they say one mans junk is another mans gold

6 . car boot sales (opps thats 6 )

all the other stuff mentioned is of course useful including no doubt "moon cups " whatever the heck they are :roll: - ( i don't wanna description thanks - there are SOME things that really should NOT be discussed in polite society in my humble opinion - i sort of guess they are a "lady" thing - and some of us where brought up not to discuss such matters in public - call me old fashioned if you want )

thats quite put me off the thought of my breakfast now :pukeright:
the validity of ones ideas are best measured by the resistance they attract

and if enough people tell you are WRONG - do it ANYWAY !!

Millymollymandy

You'd better not go in the Health and Beauty section of this forum then Brett :laughing3: :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

..... and especially don't read the 9 pages of this thread

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... =52&t=6780

:lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :laughing4: :laughing8:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

crowsashes

guess mine has to be

1 my washing line. it gets used for everything from drying washing to rigging a tent up for the little one ! it saved thousands! im sure!

2 my radio, not really eco i guess but a darn sight better than the tele AND i can have it on and actually get stuff done with out the total silence, i find it quite an unusual way to work, in total silence that is

3 eco light bulbs, i have them everywhere :mrgreen:

4 my shopping trolley that i can take the bag off and carry allsorts on or even, with a couple of luggage straps attach a box to go foraging with ( easier to clean than the bag) makes carrying back all those blackberries for jam making so much easier!

5 freecycle, 90% of my furniture and kitchen stuff is freecycled or second hand from family. i also recieved my beloved zenit camera from a lovely gent on freecycle, it has hardly left my side ( although processing is becoming expensive :shock: i think i need to learn how to do it)

6 books well library's too ! have been invaluable in learning new skills and just learning in general

7 the internet, see above, although its easy to get distracted :roll:

8 not exactly an innovation but one that can facilitate so much....generosity

( ok i did more than :oops: )

brett53
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Millymollymandy wrote:You'd better not go in the Health and Beauty section of this forum then Brett :laughing3: :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

..... and especially don't read the 9 pages of this thread

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... =52&t=6780

:lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :laughing4: :laughing8:
thanks for the warning :thumbright: - i will avoid that area completely - there are just some things gentlemen prefer NOT to know - they are the preserve of the fairer sex and should remain so :wink: **

9 pages ?? - and they say men yap :lol: :lol:

** and before any of you accuse me of being a prude - i spent 22+ years in the fire service and saw and dealt with EVERY type of blood product known to man in various forms - just that i think SOME subjects should be confined to the more "lady" orientated sections
the validity of ones ideas are best measured by the resistance they attract

and if enough people tell you are WRONG - do it ANYWAY !!

Milims

1 I have to agree with Brett - tools - I love my tools - well used tools become like parts of your hands. I gave my first hammer to my friend today - it was a real pleasure to be able to.
2 My wooden airer. I wanted one for ages and finally found one at the village fete for £1! Woo hoo! It's had lots of use.
3 Moulie Style cheese grater. Don't grate my nails so often now! lol!
4 Gadget for taking the tops off jars and bottles - OH has arthritis and it's amazing how something so simple can be so liberating
5 Round Knitting needles - great for knitting big stuff and small stuff and easy to carry in your pocket!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Harasimow
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Top 5 (ish) things I want to buy

1) Grain mill

2) butter churn

3) Loom

4) spinning wheel

5) Wood burning stove.

Cobnut
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

the.fee.fairy wrote: I saw a thing on acoustic stives the other day - they look ingenious! They've been invented for the third world. As you cook, they conver the excess heat into electricity. Cook for 2 hours and you can charge phones, or you an light a bulb for 24 hours! There's heat exchanger ones as well (i didn't understand them) that convert the energy in the heat to be able to get pipes cold enough to make ice.
What are “acoustic stives”? I Googled it and found nothing (apart from this thread) and they sounds intriguing.
The beatings will continue until moral improves

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I'm guessing it should read stoves!

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stor ... 936359.htm

Sounds too good to be true :shock: but the date on it's definitely 1st April so it must be genuine. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin