Anyone use a SAVAPLUG?

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
Thurston Garden
A selfsufficientish Regular

Anyone use a SAVAPLUG?

This is the type that is supposed to match electricity demand to supply for your freezer:

http://www.greenhealthwatch.com/GOODS/e ... vaplug.htm

Does anyone have any experience of them?

Cheers.
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

Tomr
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Looks interesting.

It would also be interesting to see if it actually works by putting an energy metre on it with and without the device.

I have a new(ish) fridge freezer in the house and a old (20+ years) chest freezer in the garage. The old one draws about half the energy the new one does although i suspect that has a lot to do with the fridge part.
http://www.pheos-online.co.uk
Non illigitamus carborundum

Stonehead

Yes, we got a 25.96% reduction in energy consumption by adding a Savaplug to our refrigerator.

I added one to the freezer too, but I can't find the relevant post on the blog. I'll link to those details later.

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

:shock: was that total energy Stoney? flippin 'eck I didnt know refrigerators took that much
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

ina

snapdragon wrote::shock: was that total energy Stoney? flippin 'eck I didnt know refrigerators took that much
That was off the consumption of the refrigerator as per manufacturers' claims... I think it's a good idea to get an electricity meter, so you know which appliance is actually using how much. While I was on holiday, the only thing that was on was my freezer - so now I know that that uses 3 kwh/week, when half full and not "in constant use", i.e. not being opened, replenished, emptied etc. But that's the only appliance that I know this about.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Millymollymandy

Interesting article you wrote there Stoney. How many times (approx) do you put your kettle on per day ? I really thought that would be way higher than most of the other appliances listed, given it has a heating element and is (usually) on so many times a day.

Surprised by how much leccy our computers etc use! :pale:

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Millymollymandy wrote:...................
How many times (approx) do you put your kettle on per day ?
while I have the open fire lit I should be using the old fashioned trivet and keeping a plain kettle on it - kettle has gone walkabout though :cry:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Stonehead

snapdragon wrote::shock: was that total energy Stoney? flippin 'eck I didnt know refrigerators took that much
25 per cent of the refrigerator's consumption! :mrgreen:

Stonehead

Millymollymandy wrote:Interesting article you wrote there Stoney. How many times (approx) do you put your kettle on per day ? I really thought that would be way higher than most of the other appliances listed, given it has a heating element and is (usually) on so many times a day.

Coffee pot on the cooker in the morning.

Kettle for tea at morning tea or lunch, not both.

Kettle for tea in late afternoon.

Kettle for tea or microwave for hot chocolate around 10pm.

That's it. Afternoon kettle is full though as that gives us boiled drinking water for the next day.

Chickenlady

I was going to get a savaplug for our fridge/freezer, then DH checked to make sure it would be compatible and there was a list of appliances that it would not work with - including our model! He looked on the net somewhere for this information but I don't know where - maybe on Savaplug's own site. Worth checking first.

Jane
Haste makes waste

Millymollymandy

Stonehead wrote:
Millymollymandy wrote:Interesting article you wrote there Stoney. How many times (approx) do you put your kettle on per day ? I really thought that would be way higher than most of the other appliances listed, given it has a heating element and is (usually) on so many times a day.

Coffee pot on the cooker in the morning.

Kettle for tea at morning tea or lunch, not both.

Kettle for tea in late afternoon.

Kettle for tea or microwave for hot chocolate around 10pm.

That's it. Afternoon kettle is full though as that gives us boiled drinking water for the next day.
Ah. A lot less than chez moi then! Thanks.

Stonehead

We cut the freezer's energy consumption by 21.4 per cent. That's comparing actual figures before fitting the Savaplug, with actual figures after fitting the Savaplug.

There's a list of non-compatible fridges and freezers on the Savaplug website - mainly models with digital controls.

For us, one of the big advantages of the Savaplug is that it makes older, less efficient appliances as good as or better than new ones. That save us money, reduces energy consumption and reduces consumption of goods.

Win, win, win.
Last edited by Stonehead on Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shirley

That's really interesting Stoney - I think we must get one asap as our power consumption jumped when we put the freezer back on.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

ina

Shirlz wrote:That's really interesting Stoney - I think we must get one asap as our power consumption jumped when we put the freezer back on.
And I'm sure your massive fridge/freezer would profit, too - provided it's suitable for one!

I've started saving hot water from the kettle: my kettle needs a minimum of two cups water - but being on my own, I often only make one cup of coffee. The rest goes into a flask. If I want another cuppa within a fairly short time, it's still hot enough; if it has cooled down too much, it'll go back into the kettle (with a top-up of cold) and will still save a bit of energy, as the kettle now comes to the boil quicker. A bit fiddly, I admit, but it works.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've got a fridge/freezer - about 3yrs old & A rated for energy consumption. Would a savaplug work on it ie cut the electricity used? The model is compatible.