Eco glue

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Eco glue

I'm now involved with a project to try and encourage people not to use plastic bags, and I've been working on making some paper bags instead - but I've come unstuck when it comes to glue! I'm looking for an eco-friendly quick drying glue. Does anyone know of one? I was thinking of something like issinglas (if that's how to spell it) but I'm not sure of the cost, availability or suitability.
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey Milims!

You can make a glue out of blood, native African style but getting people to donate can be an issue. Casein glue can be made from milk if you have excess milk. I would have to look upo the process, I wrote an article on it 20 odd years ago and seem to remember boiling the milk with lime to precipitate the calcium caseinate. I think it is used as is. Will have to look it up. :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Helsbells

You can use flour and water mixed together, not sure how long it takes to dry though, also there is something called cow gum I think its made from boiling cows bones or something.

Milims

Wombat - perhaps I could hire a transit and stick some blood donors logos on the side :evil2:
Helsbells - all I can say to the cow thing is... :puke:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Milims wrote:Wombat - perhaps I could hire a transit and stick some blood donors logos on the side :evil2:
Works for me!

The cow glue I think was made from boiling down the protein bits that don't get eated like skin, horns, hoofs etc to make a glue that you heat to get liquid and let cool to set.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Martin

I think the glue that's made from boiled cow's bits was/is used in the traditional furniture trade, and is heated for use - it comes in pellets which have to be melted.
To further confuse matters, there was a well-known brand of adhesive called "Cow gum" which was I believe rubber based, and had a horrible volatile solvent in it (and was nothing to do with 4-footed cows) :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Smooth Hound
Living the good life
Living the good life

the boiled bones type glue was used for glueing cardboard boxes, but they stopped using it because of bse, so it maybe worth lokking into what they use now, or getting bones from the butchers and making it yourself, you could let the dogs clean them up first :lol:
When the rain falls it doesn't fall on one mans house.

Smooth Hound
Living the good life
Living the good life

or how about stapleing them
When the rain falls it doesn't fall on one mans house.

Helsbells

I think I had that chemically rubbery cow gum in my mind, and totally invented the idea that it was from bones! oops!

Ellendra

Maybe not from bones, but you can make glue from boiling the hide. Cut into small pieces, add water to cover, simmer until thick, stirring occasionally. Strain while still warm, it sets when it cools.

-Ellendra