Blackberry.

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Blackberry.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KXDQI 30 May 2010 Blackberry (thornless)

This is the third year for these two thornless blackberries, and the first full harvest is expected. The plants are loaded with flowers.There were many honey bees sampling the flowers, which were most welcome. The name was not on the cultivars when I purchased, so have no idea of the variety (anybody know?). A few berries were sampled last year and they were excellent in flavor and size. The trellis is two, 4 by 8 foot reinforcing concrete wires with six inch squares. The plants are well mulched, and I throw a five gallon of rainwater on the roots periodically.

pelmetman

Re: Blackberry.

I have always loved going out to pick blackberries but also grow a thornless blackberry in the garden. They have huge, juicy berries and are easy to grow, We just tie in the leaders every now and then. Apart from the birds nothing seems to attack them so, if you have the room, I would recommend getting one.
:flower: Sue
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Martina
Living the good life
Living the good life

Durgan wrote:http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KXDQI 30 May 2010 Blackberry (thornless)

This is the third year for these two thornless blackberries, and the first full harvest is expected. The plants are loaded with flowers.There were many honey bees sampling the flowers, which were most welcome. The name was not on the cultivars when I purchased, so have no idea of the variety (anybody know?). A few berries were sampled last year and they were excellent in flavor and size. The trellis is two, 4 by 8 foot reinforcing concrete wires with six inch squares. The plants are well mulched, and I throw a five gallon of rainwater on the roots periodically.
I'm so envious, yours look way better than mine, which are basically three or four sticks. I think I was over enthusiastic in my pruning last year. It's my second year, and there is definitely signs of life, it's just really slow at coming back. I have learned my lesson, I just hope it will survive :( .

So enjoy your blackberries, Durgan and if you have any hints on recuperating a struggling blackberry plant, please let me know.

Thanks,
Martina
You can see my photos at------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40007483@N05/

Durgan

Martina.

The first year the plants were small and didn't appear to have much future. The blackberries were planted in the early Spring. I had prepared the area carefully with plenty of compost worked into the soil. The area was mulched and sufficient water was added as necessary. The second year all fruit blossoms were removed and the vegetation grew well. This year they are excellent and is supposed to be the year one picks the fruit.

Looking at them plants this morning, it is hard to imagine how they could be better. I did notice that the orientation to the sun favors one plant more than the other, but this is minor.

This is my first experience with blackberries, so am learning. Proper pruning apparently can increase production. I will carefully read up on the procedure before clipping.