Espalier training apples

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
dave45
A selfsufficientish Regular

Espalier training apples

I bought a bunch of maiden whips (Golden Spire apples MM106) in the spring and have been training them as espaliers.... (one vertical and left-and-right 45-degree arms)

After 5 or 6 months some of the 45-degree arms are decidedly short - only about 9"... should I be worried?

Also some of the verticals seem to be too "vigorous" comparatively - should I cut them back now or wait until November?

Millymollymandy

Re: Espalier training apples

From memory - don't worry about the short horizontals as you cut off the growing tip during the dormant season (I think!) and they will grow more next year. It takes about 3 years to form the full espalier of 3 rows of horizontals which is what we did at our last house. Then we sold it just as we were at the point where we were allowed to leave fruit to set on the trees!!! :roll:

Don't cut any leaders back now - follow instructions on the forming of the tree. And at some point (can't remember when!) you need to start bringing those 45 degree branches down to horizontal before they get woody and can't be moved.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/