sticky stuff to put round trees

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
Peggy Sue
A selfsufficientish Regular

sticky stuff to put round trees

I'm being lectured at by many to put these sticky bands round my new apple trees, I didn't last winter and I realise it will keep a few bugs out but if it's the odd grub I can eat round if the bands are laiden with nasty chemicals- I don't mind if I'm not completely organic but I'm not using chemcical for the sake of it!

Anyone know what's in the bands, if it can be done more cheaply (vaseline?! Just thought) or more environmentaly friendly or whether they are harmless and worth it?
Just Do It!

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: sticky stuff to put round trees

I've used vasaline before and it seemed to work ok.
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

The traditional stuff was ordinary grease, which is probably why it was called a "grease band", :iconbiggrin: you can get a tin of it for not a lot in DIY stores.
All it does is stop the creepy crawlies that overwinter in the soil from climbing up the trunk and attacking your fruit.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

spider8

I wouldn't use them as small birds can get stuck to these bands. It could be the codling moth caterpillars causing the damage, could you try pheromone traps?
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Peggy Sue

OOOH stuck birds :( will they stuck in the grease or vaseline do you think? and I'm going to have to ask what Pheromone traps are!
Just Do It!

spider8

They may get stuck in the grease, don't know what the Vaseline would do :dontknow: . Apple trees get damaged by various kinds of moths and you can get pheramone traps (synthetic insect attractant). The best ones to get are the hanging pot type traps which don't affect other wildlife. They sell them on Ama*on (Moth Trap - Codling) and no, I'm not flogging them for any self-gain, just worried about other wildlife :iconbiggrin: .

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

spider8 wrote:I wouldn't use them as small birds can get stuck to these bands. It could be the codling moth caterpillars causing the damage, could you try pheromone traps?
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you, it's impossible for small birds to get stuck, firstly it's just a smear of grease around the trunk about 18" up where no bird would perch and even if one did it would easily free itself with just greasy feet.
It's NOT the codling moth as the female moth flies up to lay eggs on the fruit .. it is the winter moth that overwinters as a pupae underground and the caterpillar crawls up the trunk in spring. Also it stops ants from climbing the trunk to "farm" aphids and earwigs from nesting in the cores of mature apples.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

spider8

You are right that small birds should not get stuck in the grease, I was thinking of an article I saw a while back about small birds getting stuck to flypapers hung in green houses and was thinkig this could be a similar situation. I have recently read a question on a gardening forum and the respondent gave a similar answer to the one I did about small birds getting caught up in the grease.

I have seen small birds such as tits taking insects from all levels of a tree trunk so there is potential for some small birds, such as these, to get the grease stuck on their feathers which may cause issues with their plumage. Also when they preen their feathers they could ingest the grease which could also cause the bird problems. Particularly if the gardener has used car engine grease, which has happened!!

I am aware that the Codling moth lays her eggs on the fruit, which will then hatch into caterpillars that feed on the fruit before they move to the bark of the tree to pupate. That is why I suggested using the Pheromone trap. As you say the grease band would only be effective for the caterpillars of moths such as the Winter Moth.

Millymollymandy

Wouldn't there be more likelihood of birds getting stuck to the pheromone traps which are made with those insect sticky sheets? I don't use them cos (1) they cost a fortune and I have lots of apple trees (2) I don't like the thought of good insects getting stuck. :(

I sometimes see apple orchards with the trunks all painted white - I think that's chalk but I don't know what it does or whether this is good or bad. Personally I just leave nature to do it's thang and cut out any bugs in my apples. :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

oldjerry

I've never seen any bird affected in any way by greasebanding,but if you're worried,it shouldn't be difficult to wrap a piece of wire netting over the band to eliminate the possibilityof the smallest bird walking in the grease.(it is very different to the stuff on fly papers,and cos it's so cheap and easy,I'd always do it.) I've only ever tried a pheromone trap once ,which some one bought me as a present,but it blew away.

spider8

Yes MMM, those pheremone traps that look like little tents may catch useful insects too which is why I said perhaps try those pot-like ones (but don't know if they're any better in that respect).
Oldjerry those tent-like ones would just be like little kites up here too and wouldn't last ten minutes here. They all seem very expensive so I guess it's a case of 'suck it and see', try the sticky bands Peggy Sue and see how you get on.

Peggy Sue

and I thought fruit was meant to be easy... back to planting spuds lol!
Just Do It!