Is it too late to plant summer rasps?

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Is it too late to plant summer rasps?

I 've seen them planted commercially at 3ft , Graham. When the suckers grew in the 'path' between rows,they were chopped off with a large rotary mower.

grahamhobbs

Thanks Boboff and Oldjerry

bonniethomas06

Oops, didn't mean to start the raspberry wars!

For what my opinion is worth...I think the best authority on this isue is the RHS, who say there are two distinct types of rasp, each requiring different treatment for OPTIMAL CROPPING.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

boboff

Seriously there was no war, on my part.

My attitude was to try and help based on my experience.

If you are unsure of the type, I had a summer where I picked abut 3 fruit a day for abut 6 months! The following year with the same plants, I cut then all back and got more fruit a day but starting abou 6 weeks later.

Not being one for labels etc and not knowing how to tell the difference, my preferernce is to crop shorter period, so I don't end up missing fruit.

You need a 500g pot to do anything with.

Text books, rule books, council policy, what your Dad says, they are all valid and I am sure we should do as they say, but sometimes, just sometimes, we may not want optimal but convenient. Still, it is better to learn to garden by the rule book, when you are new to things, when you do get on a bit you can choose a different cource if you want.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Big Al

Millymollymandy wrote:Boboff just go and read about raspbs and that is what is given as fact. We've had this discussion before recently and yes sometimes summer ones do produce more fruit on the current season's growth but according to the text books that is not supposed to happen. Mine did that this year but the fruit produced was too late to ripen more than a few.

So I am giving the advice that is given in the textbooks which is the normal advice, if plants decide to do odd things (which all plants do occasionally) I can't help that.

The whole point of having summer and autumn fruiting ones is that you get fruit in summer and then again in autumn, by having the two different kinds.

I will disregard your last sentence as I think you are just trying to be provocative. :roll:

Give over MMM, you have to be wrong, you are a woman..........
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

boboff

Al' was on the pop last night!

Thats at least a 4 pint post!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

Big Al

boboff wrote:Al' was on the pop last night!

Thats at least a 4 pint post!
:drunken: i wish. At 7.10 pm tonight It's 26 years and 29 days since I last had a drink.

That post was just a sarcastic wind up attempt, :wink:
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

boboff

Really? What happened in January 1985 then?

Millymollymandy

Nope wind up didn't work, cos I was in England the last two weeks so haven't been here :iconbiggrin: . Anyway you can't wind me up Big Al. :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/