Blueberry Bush

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
benshort
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 51.3898
longitude: 0.5037

Blueberry Bush

Wed May 11, 2011 5:19 pm

While watering my blueberry bush today I noticed that some of the leafs are starting to curl, crispy and have brown spots.

I re potted it earlier this year in ericaceous compost and the bush has plenty of fruit.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Ben
Attachments
11052011976s.jpg
11052011976s.jpg (150.08 KiB) Viewed 262 times

Carltonian Man
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Blueberry Bush

Thu May 12, 2011 6:27 am

Hi Ben, no doubt someone with more experience will be along shortly but it could be chlorosis, in which case it would pay to check the ph of the compost. I’m guessing that during the recent dry warm spell the plant needed watering fairly regular. Maybe acidity has been washed out of the compost.
A quick Google says some blueberries like a ph of 5.0. You probably already know but ph is measured on a logarithmic scale of ten. That is to say neutral is 7 so 6 is ten times more acidic than 7. It then follows that 5 is ten times more acidic than 6 making 5 one hundred times more acidic than 7 (10 x 10).
So if your blueberry likes a ph of 5.0 that’s quite acidic compost and could easily be washed out of range.
Just for comparison, black coffee has a ph of around 5.0
Hope this helps

benshort
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 51.3898
longitude: 0.5037

Re: Blueberry Bush

Thu May 12, 2011 12:14 pm

Carltonian Man wrote:Hi Ben, no doubt someone with more experience will be along shortly but it could be chlorosis, in which case it would pay to check the ph of the compost. I’m guessing that during the recent dry warm spell the plant needed watering fairly regular. Maybe acidity has been washed out of the compost.
A quick Google says some blueberries like a ph of 5.0. You probably already know but ph is measured on a logarithmic scale of ten. That is to say neutral is 7 so 6 is ten times more acidic than 7. It then follows that 5 is ten times more acidic than 6 making 5 one hundred times more acidic than 7 (10 x 10).
So if your blueberry likes a ph of 5.0 that’s quite acidic compost and could easily be washed out of range.
Just for comparison, black coffee has a ph of around 5.0
Hope this helps

I've had a google for pictures of chlorosis of blueberry bushes and the symptoms seem very similar. I'll try adding more acidic compost to the top of the pot and hope that watering will wash it down to the roots.

Thank you.

Ben

Return to “Fruit and Nuts”