grapevine

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

grapevine

Does anyone know how to take cuttings from grapevines and what is the best time of year to do it, please?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: grapevine

I've no idea to be honest but if it's like other hard wood cuttings I think autumn is the best time :dontknow: :iconbiggrin:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Hi Ruth, Ideally you should take the cuttings when the vine is dormant in January/February but it is possible to take ripe wood cuttings now if the leaves aren't too big.

In Jan/Feb, cut the vine (last years growth) back to 2 or 3 buds. Keep the cuttings, you'll need them later.

Separate each node (Bud) by cutting 1/2 inch above and leaving the lower portion as long as possible.

On the lower portion, scrape the bark back to the cambium (the green inner bark) for the last 1 inch on two sides of the stem. (Thumbnail will do). it's optional to use rooting powder but it will give you a better strike rate. Insert the cuttings into equal parts sharp sand and compost and keep moist until the buds burst into leaves, then water sparingly to encourage the roots to grow.

it will take about 2 years to get the cuttings big enough to plant out and then another year or two to start fruiting, (If it's the fruiting variety you've got).
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

darkbrowneggs
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

RuthG wrote:Does anyone know how to take cuttings from grapevines and what is the best time of year to do it, please?
I just pulled a bit of it down and put a big stone on top, it seemed to root easily and I gave three rooted plants away.

All the best
Sue

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for the advice.

I cant root it by layering as there isnt enough soil in the greehouse to do that. The vine stands in a small corner; the rest of the greenhouse floor is tiled or concrete (like that when we got here).

It might be a bit late, but I am going to give it a go, with the cuttings. At least I will have tried before moving; if it doesnt work, then ok, I'll be disappointed but cant do more than try can I? The vine is not still dormant, but it has been very cold here both over the winter (2' snow for what seemed like weeks), then very cold spring so far, so it hasnt grown on too much.

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

If no room to layer,try air-layering(google if you don't know how,or if it's not clear,ask me).It's a good technique for difficult propagators but perfectly ok for simple stuff too.And it's loads of fun.

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks, I had forgotten about air layering. Does it take long for plants to root that way?