my first apple tree

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
sammyh
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 0 0 0
longitude: 51 38 28

my first apple tree

feel like doing something pagan!! Have planted my first apple tree courtesty of a growing project from the london wildlife trust. It's a falstaff on a dwarf root stock. I've always wanted one and grew up with apple trees at the bottom of out garden in suburban Pinner. I've just plonked it in the ground and kinda can't believe that's it!

Happy happy happy!!

now i'd really like cherry tree but need it tiny as have v.small garden- does anyone recomend any- I'm a little confused with the different sorts

sam

gray_bale
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: my first apple tree

Its not the type of cherry (or variety) its the rootstock its grown upon, you need to be concerned about in a small garden.

Most are grown on Colt or Gisela5 rootstocks. There are others but they are not widely available.

Colt will produce a tree up to 3m to 5m ish tall, whereas a Gisela5 will be about 3m max. Obviously dependent on soil types and feeding etc.

Gisela trees will cost more as they are patented.

Then its up to you to sort what variety suits your area and needs.
With 40 years experience the goodlife normally ends up costing money one way or the other, and a bad back ???

Check out http://www.balesfield.co.uk/

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

How exciting, new fruit trees are so exciting.

I've never tried them but some of the larger plant catalogue companies sell what they call 'patio' cherries that can, apparently, be grown in pots.

Zoe

sammyh
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thanks- it's like the apple tree then as it's on a dwarf root stock. I'll have another look and go for it.

oldjerry

Frank Thomas in Tenbury Wells can supply whatever you want,if you call,ask for Steve,they will advise\no pressure\nice people,no connections to me,if they aint got it they won't just flog you anything.

oldjerry

Frank Thomas in Tenbury Wells can supply whatever you want,if you call,ask for Steve,they will advise\no pressure\nice people,no connections to me,if they aint got it they won't just flog you anything.

sammyh
Tom Good
Tom Good

thanks for that nice to get a recomendation

gray_bale
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hi there - Do you mean Frank Matthews in Tenbury Wells ?? as he is wholesale only. He supplies 'Trees for Life' as his trade mark and supplies throu garden centers.
With 40 years experience the goodlife normally ends up costing money one way or the other, and a bad back ???

Check out http://www.balesfield.co.uk/

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

I bought three pot fruit trees for my old place which only had a courtyard. Two apple and one pear. The pear hasn't done so well, but the apples produced fruit in their first year and last year did well.
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

oldjerry

Sorry,but Frank Thomas may only advertise as wholesale growers,but they have a decent size retail section,you just have to turn up.(and as I suggested ask for Steve).I was last there a couple of weeks ago.(if visiting over the next 10 weeks,forget the sat nav. Tenbury bridge is shut for repairs,absolute nightmare.)

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Sammyh said:
It's a falstaff on a dwarf root stock. I've always wanted one and grew up with apple trees at the bottom of out garden in suburban Pinner. I've just plonked it in the ground and kinda can't believe that's it!
I planted a Red Falstaff last year (Loaded with flowers) and it yielded a whopping 8lb of fruit! considering it's a 5ft tall 3/4inch diameter twig grafted into dwarf rootstock, I was really impressed as I'd expected the crop to fail after being transplanted. Nice tasty apples too!

Here's a useful site for deciding on rootstock to use: http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/arti ... tree-sizes

They do supply the trees too, but you have to download the form and send it back to them (no web purchase facility). They also ask that you can guarantee being at home to accept the delivery as they deliver on small pallets.

(I noticed that they do cherries on Gisela5 rootstock too). Click on each variety to see the options: http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/cherry-trees
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

sammyh
Tom Good
Tom Good

Only just seen this, cheers, all very encouraging.

xx

sam

Silver Ether

oh lovely I planted to crap apple trees. Bright red fruit and called Laura... funny I came across them at Tenbury Wells apple fest last year. As I forage at Baggeridge Country park I thought it would be good to replace my gatherings and they are to mark my being when I pass to the Otherworld ...

So we can compare notes as they grow.

I had mine from a company called Wiggly wigglers ... I think ... :icon_smile: good luck
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.