Odd year for fruit

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Odd year for fruit

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:00 pm

I have noticed on other threads that fruit trees this year are a bit variable (to say the least)
We had pretty much the same weather as everybody else, very warm March followed by very cold April/May/June with lots of gales.
The effect that had on my black currants is quite interesting. I have two bushes, an early and a mid season side by side, the early one flowered in March and is just about ready to pick while the mid season one is just coming into flower. In fact I thought for some time that the mid season one was dead as it didn't burst it's buds until a month ago.
Bcurrant.jpg (87.02 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
currant.jpg (110.42 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
My apple trees are also variable, some trees have less fruit this year and some more. I have two Bramleys 8' apart, one has hardly any fruit and the other one is heavily loaded. My Cox has 5 apples on it but my Worcester is so loaded that I will have to thin them, which really goes against the grain, but if I don't I will get a huge crop of tiny apples instead.

At least I do have some apples and so far the windy weather has stopped the scab from appearing, so not complaining.
Apple.jpg (121.43 KiB) Viewed 1759 times

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Odd year for fruit

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm

Indeed, but then every year seems odd in a new way.

There seems to be very few flies aorund this year, In my mind we normally have lots of them by now, and as we had a mild winter, and everyone says that a mild winter promotes flies, this year seems the reverse? Horse flies especially I really do not like, and previously got allot of them.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:06 pm

tree fruit is a disaster for us this year - some of my apple trees have no fruit set on them at all!

soft fruit is doing well, picking raspberries now

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:53 am

No change up here - the birds eat everything before it ripens. They've completely stripped a previously well hung blackcurrant bush. :oops: :lol:

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:26 pm

I have no plums!!! Well, I do have damsons, so that's something. But not eating plums. :roll: Then again they are always so erratic with black rot, rust or god knows what that having none at all at least saves me wondering whether I'll get a harvest before they rot or fall off the tree. And I won't need to irrigate them either. :lol:

Soft fruit is fine and my peach tree is loaded and I'll need to seriously thin out the fruit.

I haven't been over to the orchard to see if there are any pears this year - I know there are some apples as I've seen them driving past.

One thing's for sure - there will be elderberries!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)