Fruit trees in a damp-ish garden

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
A selfsufficientish Regular

Fruit trees in a damp-ish garden

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Having moved house I'm wondering if planting fruit trees in the garden might make it a little less sodden, next door grows some of his own produce so I know it wont be completely damp but, there is a certain amount of think moss in the corner of the lawn.
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands

Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Fruit trees in a damp-ish garden

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:51 pm

Trees will help, but not with standing water or general winter sogginess - that need some sort of drainage or soakaway. But if it's just a bit of damp lawn with a moss problem, then the transpiration of a few trees could be beneficial. Although any additional shade and dryness it causes my just encourage a drier species of moss. Using a tree to fix a lawn problem is really just inviting a different problem to replace it.

Is this general sogginess, or just end-of-tether with the wet weather at the moment? - I put planks down at the weekend to move wood, and our bit of grass (not enough to call a lawn - and probably destined to be replaced with a chipped bark path) is normally not that bad. Things have just been a bit extreme this year with the rain.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Re: Fruit trees in a damp-ish garden

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:49 pm

Sleepy,it's hard to suggest an answer without more info: How big the area,d'you want to grow anything else in the same bit of ground?? etc..etc..,but here's an idea,say they're trees on a dwarfing stock M9,M27,whatever,and you're just going to grass between,then I'd dig a few 3'x3'x 5'deep sinkks across the piece,and backfill with aggregate,that will do a decent job,and not be a serious sweat.More info,more dubious suggestions....BWs.

Return to “Fruit and Nuts”