Grape harvest over

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grape harvest over

Just finished processing this year's crop of white grapes from the greenhouse.
Several pounds of fruit eaten fresh, quite a lot not even managing to get indoors. Those that did manage it were dried for sultanas for my fruit buns and biscuits.
Result, 2.75 Kg of sultanas and a litre of grape syrup made from the small ones. I measured the specific gravity and it's about 1.5 (not precise as it was off the scale) so it will keep without going mouldy. That will be used for sweetening stewed fruit as I can eat fructose without any problems.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Grape harvest over

well done, our grape harvest never started, will have to get some cuttings from you of your grape, when can you take them?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

One of our plants survived but has put on very little growth.

No wine making this year? How did last years turn out?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The grape harvest here has been amazing this year...last year was all but a no-show. We have eaten some, dried a few (they have seeds so need them removing, but are small grapes so hardly worth the bother) The rest of one vine were juiced and bottled, some with blackcurrant added, waterbathed for storing in the cupboard. The other three vines went to our neighbour for making rakia, four crates of them. He sends rakia over at regular intervals through the year so it's only fair that we send our suplus grapes, pears, plums and cornels his way. Love the community thing.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

diggernotdreamer wrote:will have to get some cuttings from you of your grape, when can you take them?
Winter time, after the leaves have fallen. I will send you some prunings and some from the black grape as well if you would like some. Both are seedless.
Green Aura wrote:No wine making this year? How did last years turn out?
I knew as I was making it last year that it was a mistake :iconbiggrin:
It's sort of OKish and will be used in cooking, but I'm afraid even the cheapest brand in Lidls is better than mine. At least that's one less thing to do at a busy time.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Odsox wrote:
diggernotdreamer wrote:will have to get some cuttings from you of your grape, when can you take them?
Winter time, after the leaves have fallen. I will send you some prunings and some from the black grape as well if you would like some. Both are seedless.

That would be lovely, I only have tiny grapes with tons of seeds in them, only fit for juicing really